Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Is that how it was before?

Or was it consistent before the last service?

If it is different at all...... Good chance the repair was good, the work wasn't if that makes sense. The Tech reinstalled something wrong/didn't tighten something enough.

I know that doesn't make it better, however it is an important difference if it exists. Mostly because of how the next tech will look at the car. Helps solve the issue faster when you look in the right place. Might need to retrace the last tech's steps.

If it is the same as it was before..... Lemon. Get out from under it if possible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Its doing the same thing as before no change it would come and go before...

What i would like to do is put 2 different rims and tires on my car from a car that doesnt shake just to see what happens .dealer wont do it i have asked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 · (Edited)
I know we have swapped back to front but what if my back one is slightly bent also.

Im just wishing it was simple like that.

I added a pedal commander it made a huge difference in passing on the highway. No more delay.I really think it should have came this way from factory.I hated the delay..

im trying to love this car but the shaking is killing it.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport 2.0L Volcano Black Metallic/Red Int.
27 Posts
Like I said, I live in West Palm. If you want to come by we can put two of my wheels on yours. OR, you can just drive my car…
which leads to my question, have you asked either dealership or third party car dealer to test drive another stelvio? Sorry if you already answered that and I missed it. Im about to do the same for my girls merc c250 which i suspect has a slight power steering issue. Unfortunately for dealer and myself I’ll have to go in & act interested in buying a c250 as I arrive in a Stelvio… they probably will know something is up seeing that no one in their right mind would trade the stelvio for the merc lol. But let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well let us know how your test drive goes in another Stelvio. It’s more than likely that it will drive better than yours due to yours having the obvious issues. If that is the case the wheel/tire swap will be your best indicator of where the issue may lay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
And if that is in fact the case, you may come to the house and we can have two different wheels on within minutes. I am located in Wellington to be specific. I also detail cars and have my shop setup in my garage so you may be in for a treat depending on the weather.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
Car is finally fixed......

Took my last chance ride an hr and a 1/2 to stuart alfa florida.

Peggy in service was great. Car was there 2 days and they gave me a 2022 stelvio loaner.

I will not go to another dealer in south florida.If you need service in south florida i would take the trip up there its a nice ride and you wont be dissapointed

All it was was the ballance the tires were not indexed right.

Dillon the mechanic took his time with my car did something with vibration checks and all he could find was right front out of ballance and left rear. He put all my tires on there new hunter road force machine those 2 were in the red ..
He indexed them correctly and steering wheel shake is gone..i also had them do the oil change again because you never know what the other dealers did if they cant even ballance tires correctly.

I have had my tires road force ballanced 3 times at 2 dealers and regular ballanced multiple times
And it took a real mechanic that knew what he was doing at alfa romeo stuart florida.

And get this they didnt even charge me for all the trouble ive been through.

They have a customer for life as long as i own alfa or maserati i will be going to them.

There place is great nice waiting room clean and everyone was friendly..

Thanks again Peggy and Dillon for a very pleasant
Experience..

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Interesting, you had something happen I have only heard of happening in theory. Of course, it would happen to an Alfa... 🤣

Indexing the wheel balance means the wheels had to be force balanced on the car. But the problem wasn't with the wheel balance.

Likely he checked the balance off the car and they were fine. Drove the car and noticed the problem, and since they just got a new machine - likely sold by using a theoretical example that almost never happens - but your case fit the description of the problem that machine is designed to fix.

The problem being a slightly out-of-spec, or just barely inside spec wheel hub.

What can happen (but rarely does) is the wheel hub - or wheel - is manufactured just out of spec, or in some way where once mounted the wheel is not centered on the wheel hub. When this happens it doesn't matter how balanced the tire is, it is mounted to the hub in a way that is off center, as such it will not roll smoothly since it rotates off-center, acts like a bad balance but worse and stronger. Can come and go depended...again in theory. I haven't actually encountered this.

Machine's that balance the wheels on the car can identify this issue where nothing else can. They do it by indexing the wheel position to the hub and finding any inconsistencies between that and how they mount on the machine.

Never heard of it being needed though.... Great call by that tech. Would be interested in how it was fixed... He did more then balance the wheels, probably added some type of shim to center the wheel on the hubs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Maybe i can find out more ill ask him
All they told me is they did some kind of vibration test then found wheel and tires not indexed right road forced spun tire on rim to get all greens. Thats all i know..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Glad you went to Stuart man. Theyre good there like I said.

Their "indexing" likely had nothing to do with balancing on the car or hub. Its simply throwing the wheel on the balancer to find the heavy spot on the wheel then making sure to install the tire at its index spot (the dot on the tire put on at the factory for exactly this purpose) to the correct spot on the wheel.

I don't know any dealership that has an on car balancer as that was relevant 50 years ago before we had hub centric aluminum wheels with computer balancing. Be interesting to see it though

·
Registered
27 Posts
What didn’t you like about the 2022 loaner? How did it feel different?
Glad to hear car is fixed; Alfa Stuart is the way to go if you live in South FL like myself and others have mentioned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
The seats horrible ,The lean on curvy roads and the lean when you pass someone..it felt soft not sporty..acceleration seemed not as quick..
Had to put it dynamic everytime start the car.

I have a 2018 ti sport. I think that was a regular ti if that makes a difference..

Now that mines fixed its a joy to drive love it

·
Registered
27 Posts
“While the Stelvio Ti is a blast to drive, a few extra performance upgrades are found on the Stelvio Ti Sport. A mechanical limited-slip differential and sports-tuned suspension take handling to the next level. You'll also enjoy using the Stelvio Ti Sport's paddle shifters.”
That is an excerpt from Alfa’s website comparing the 2021 Ti Stelvio vs the 2021 Ti Stelvio Sport. Perhaps you are right on receiving the regular Ti as a loaner. Just not exactly sure if the performance upgrades mentioned applied to the earlier models. I have the 2018 Stelvio Sport (not Ti) and I am wondering if it just applies to all ‘Sport’ models. If anyone can confirm….

121 - 140 of 140 Posts