Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

I have 2018 Stelvio(bought it 4 months ago) and my warranty is about to expire Apr 2022. The dealership where i bought Alfa were offering some xyz warranty which didn't interest me. Yesterday I got my general maintenance done at Alfa Romeo Maserati Service in Toronto, they diagnosed and said everything is running smoothly. However they told me talk to finance guy about extended warranty and warned me it is going to be super-expensive. My options are:
1. Continue driving and perform timely maintenance (I drive 15000kms/year)
2. Buy extended warranty from Alfa Romeo (super-expensive)
3. Buy any 3rd party warranty and pay monthly (is this a good option?)

what would you suggest/advice. Looking forward to hearing feedback. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Friends,

I have 2018 Stelvio(bought it 4 months ago) and my warranty is about to expire Apr 2022. The dealership where i bought Alfa were offering some xyz warranty which didn't interest me. Yesterday I got my general maintenance done at Alfa Romeo Maserati Service in Toronto, they diagnosed and said everything is running smoothly. However they told me talk to finance guy about extended warranty and warned me it is going to be super-expensive. My options are:

I’m in the same boat, keep posted on your findings.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
289 Posts
Your missing an option.
Buy factory extended warranty through someone else besides alfa dealership.
Do a search through the forum.

Alfa dealership wanted $1200 more than what I paid for mine for the exact same warranty.
Here's one such thread..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depending on how long you want to extend the warranty, you're looking at about $2k-$4.5k. It seems like most people are getting the Mopar warranty (search the forums here, there are multiple links and phone numbers for people who sell these at a good price). The Mopar warranties are at the lower end of the price scale above because they can only be used at authorized Alfa Romeo dealership service centers (or Dodge/Jeep service centers if they have a trained Alfa technician). Interestingly, my dealership sells a Zurich extended warranty, and that can be used anywhere that's ASE certified, but is at the higher end of the price range.

You have to decide if it's worth it to you to be able to bring your car anywhere for warranty work or if you want to bring it to the dealership only. I'm going with the Mopar one not just because it's cheaper, but also because i STILL haven't found an independent shop in my area that I trust (and will agree) to work on an Alfa. I'm just praying that my dealership (which services all FCA vehicles), keeps an Alfa tech around for the duration of the warranty. Otherwise I have to drive more than an hour to the next closest one.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
125 Posts
Hello Friends,

Here's my take with a disclaimer: I worked for FCA my entire career with most my time spent working directly with dealers in several roles in our field organization. For a time, I even was responsible for Mopar service contract sales penetration in our sales region.

If you're gonna buy a contract, get the Mopar one, especially due to the rarity of qualified technicians who have the training and credentials to work on a Stelvio. Put yourself in a position to be able to access FCA dealership technician's specialized knowledge anywhere in the U.S. and Canada where there is a an FCA dealer.

Also, FCA dealers know they will get their claims paid. This is extremely important to you and to them. You don't want to be on the hook because of some technicality where a claim is denied. I've seen it happen.

A second point is that 3rd party contracts are often VERY sketchy with claim payment. Dealers and independent shops are understandably reluctant to commence work based on the approval of some dude on the phone they've never worked with. I've seen them get burned to the point that most will make you personally authorize the repairs and then reimburse you after the claim gets paid. Yes, some 3rd party contracts are legit, but, how will you know?

A third point is how to handle the cost of the contract. I'll let you in on a secret. Retail pricing on service contracts is generally double what dealer cost is. If the dealer cost is $1500, you will be offered the contract at $3000 in most cases, sometimes substantially more if they think you're an easy mark. contract

Everything is negotiable in the F&I office . It they tell you it's $3000, come back with $1750. Some commission is better than no commision. Dont be afraid to walk away.

A fourth point is any FCA dealer can sell you a Mopar Service contract on your Stelvio, whether it be a new car contract or a used car contract. Shop around and get bids. Make the dealers compete for your business. You have nothing to lose by negotiating and asking for the best deal. They'll take a skinny commission vs. no commission.

When my warranty is up, I will absolutely buy a Mopar Service contract on my own dime. Yes, I can get one for cost, but, for an average person who plans on keeping their Stelvio for a long time, it's worth the investment. Also, contracts are pro rata meaning if you sell your car and there is remaining coverage, you can cancel your contract and they'll cut you a pro rata check for the remainder of unused coverage.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Here's my take with a disclaimer: I worked for FCA my entire career with most my time spent working directly with dealers in several roles in our field organization. For a time, I even was responsible for Mopar service contract sales penetration in our sales region.

If you're gonna buy a contract, get the Mopar one, especially due to the rarity of qualified technicians who have the training and credentials to work on a Stelvio. Put yourself in a position to be able to access FCA dealership technician's specialized knowledge anywhere in the U.S. and Canada where there is a an FCA dealer.

Also, FCA dealers know they will get their claims paid. This is extremely important to you and to them. You don't want to be on the hook because of some technicality where a claim is denied. I've seen it happen.

A second point is that 3rd party contracts are often VERY sketchy with claim payment. Dealers and independent shops are understandably reluctant to commence work based on the approval of some dude on the phone they've never worked with. I've seen them get burned to the point that most will make you personally authorize the repairs and then reimburse you after the claim gets paid. Yes, some 3rd party contracts are legit, but, how will you know?

A third point is how to handle the cost of the contract. I'll let you in on a secret. Retail pricing on service contracts is generally double what dealer cost is. If the dealer cost is $1500, you will be offered the contract at $3000 in most cases, sometimes substantially more if they think you're an easy mark. contract

Everything is negotiable in the F&I office . It they tell you it's $3000, come back with $1750. Some commission is better than no commision. Dont be afraid to walk away.

A fourth point is any FCA dealer can sell you a Mopar Service contract on your Stelvio, whether it be a new car contract or a used car contract. Shop around and get bids. Make the dealers compete for your business. You have nothing to lose by negotiating and asking for the best deal. They'll take a skinny commission vs. no commission.

When my warranty is up, I will absolutely buy a Mopar Service contract on my own dime. Yes, I can get one for cost, but, for an average person who plans on keeping their Stelvio for a long time, it's worth the investment. Also, contracts are pro rata meaning if you sell your car and there is remaining coverage, you can cancel your contract and they'll cut you a pro rata check for the remainder of unused coverage.
Is the mopar warranty as good as factory, in that they will tow you hundreds of miles to that Alfa tech, or would you be better off with just not bothering with the mopar warranty if thats your case?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is the mopar warranty as good as factory, in that they will tow you hundreds of miles to that Alfa tech, or would you be better off with just not bothering with the mopar warranty if thats your case?
The provisions of a Mopar Service contract are such that they will tow to the nearest Alfa dealer, assuming your vehicle is actually not safely driveable due to a failure of a covered item. See your contract provisions for details.

·
Registered
498 Posts

That was excellent; some of the best and most useful advice on this forum. If I keep past 4 yrs, my decision on ext warranty just got a lot clearer. (y)

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
The provisions of a Mopar Service contract are such that they will tow to the nearest Alfa dealer, assuming your vehicle is actually not safely driveable due to a failure of a covered item. See your contract provisions for details.
Excellent. Will buy.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
8 Posts
I will be in the market in the next 4-6 months ('18 Stelvio QV). Any value in getting 4-5 of us together to incentive a dealer? There are two good options in another thread for dealers who always provide the best pricing (sorry on my phone and can't search). Would be interesting to serve them 5 Mopar warranties and see what bargaining power we had.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will be in the market in the next 4-6 months ('18 Stelvio QV). Any value in getting 4-5 of us together to incentive a dealer? There are two good options in another thread for dealers who always provide the best pricing (sorry on my phone and can't search). Would be interesting to serve them 5 Mopar warranties and see what bargaining power we had.
I think it's certainly worth a shot. The worst that can happen is someone says no..Give them an opportunity to earn your business and know that the dealer has to earn a buck too. You can always try another dealer or two if the fist one won't play. The finance guys are paid commission and if they know that business could easily go away to a different FCA dealer, they might see a business case formatting a deal vs. nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Do you have any take on what to do about the exorbitant cost of routine maintenance on a very low mileage, 2018 with 17K miles, Stelvio? I hear that some dealers offer a low-ball price, and then don't do all the required items. I'm in the D/FW area of Texas and there are a least 3 dealerships within a reasonable distance.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 2016 Alfa 4c Spider 2020 Alfa Stelvio TI
27 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce Misano Blue Metallic/Black
385 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I have checked the links posted in this chat and so far all the warranties are showing up for US customers only. I tried contacting FCA Canada, hoping they would respond me soon. Thanks you for mentioning thorough details, I am definitely inclined towards buying a Mopar warranty. If I don't hear back from FCA Canada then I will stop by FCA dealerships in Toronto and surrounding regions acquiring quotes and see where I can get the best deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you have any take on what to do about the exorbitant cost of routine maintenance on a very low mileage, 2018 with 17K miles, Stelvio? I hear that some dealers offer a low-ball price, and then don't do all the required items. I'm in the D/FW area of Texas and there are a least 3 dealerships within a reasonable distance.
Routine maintenance is generally just that -“routine”. Kind of like the idea a high school baseball player can catch an easy pop up to 2nd base just as well as Derek Jetter.

FCA doesn’t require you get maintenance work done at an FCA dealer to keep your warranty in effect, nor does any other manufacturer, even though some dealers may say the opposite.

From what I see, there is nothing particularly exotic or difficult with any regular maintenance iitem on a Stelvio or Giulia. It’s not a Ferrari. We’re talking about fluid flushes, oil change, tire rotation, plugs, filters, etc.

As for pricing, most dealers use a separate lower labor rate for what is commonly known as “competitive maintenance. Thdon’t have their best Master Technician changing wiper blades, at least in bigger dealerships.

Dealers very much want to be doing maintenance and non-warranty customer pay mechanical work, it’s the most profitable department in the dealership. The smart ones are very competitive in “competitive maintenance.” because they want you in the hobbit if going to them, not some local garage.

Ad fat as hearing about a low ball price from an Alfa dealer and then not doing all the work, I would question the validity of that. Sometimes mistakes happen, but rarely would a new car dealer be regularly trying to scam customers. They have far too much at stake to do dumb stuff like that, especially in the age of social media.

What I would do is get some quotes for your routine maintenance services, Every dealer and independent shop has a menu of pricing for common routine maintenance.

A final thought about why a dealer doing your maintenance work can be a big advantage is they “know what to look for” meaning knowledge about common failures, or TSBs or the latest software flashes are
available to them and not necessarily independent shops.

Independent shops can be excellent though. Many of them are very successful based on their reputation of doing excellent and honest repairs.

Where I would be most concerned about someone screwing something up is national chain quick oil change, muffler, tire, or brake places They are convenient for sure, but they often have a revolving door of low paid poorly trained unskilled employees doing your work, Some are good, some aren’t.

I have lots of stories about dealerships correcting disasters done by some unskilled kid from a quick oil change place. You get what you pay for, right? Cheaper isn’t necessarily better,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with a third party (ProGuard) factory extend warranty. I purchased my used 2018 Stelvio through a Cadillac dealer and they sold me the policy. I believe it was approximately $3400. It’s an exclusionary policy, which I like. it is my understanding the lower the mileage is on your car the more affordable the warranty will be. I had approximately 32,000 miles when I purchased a warranty. It is for four years or 50,000 miles.

I also purchased lifetime tire rotations and oil changes with the Cadillac dealer. They told me there is no issue changing the oil on the Alfa Romeo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts