Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Alfa Romeo. I have a gently used 2018 Stelvio Quadrofoligio that is still under warranty. Took it through the car wash and the passenger side floor filled with water; and then a sensor went out. I washed it again (by hand) and the throttle sensor is now malfunctioning. Having it towed to the dealer today. I know that water intrusion has been an issue, but here's the rub- my car was never subject to the water intrusion recall. I'm assuming the water leakage is causing the sensor malfunctions, but the recall doesn't apply to me.

Any ideas how to approach this issue with the dealer?

Thank you in advance for any insights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I have a ti sport and I washed the car one day and the forward collision system started going wonky. And my brake light thought it was out but once it dried I guess it remedied itself.. as for your issue I would just try and get them to honor it maybe take video documentation’s. Best of luck 😌

·
Registered
376 Posts
Show the pics to the dealer if you took any. They should fix it under warranty. Several threads on this forum covering this issue. I have a 2019 (post recall production). One year of car washes, no issues. Then, a little bit of water on passenger side floor after car wash. Wiped it up before thinking to take a pic. No warning indicators or malfunctions of any kind, so I hesitated to take it in. Then noted a forum post where an AR dealer said it was a design problem with the front vents and to just turn off the fan or set to recirculate. Did that for the past six months of car washes---no water intrusion, no issues. Maybe you can do this in the meantime. As of right now, I will just have the tech check this out the next time I am in for a regular service.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there--

Sorry to hear about these concerns you both experienced after taking your vehicles through the car wash. If you ever need additional support alongside your dealer visits, feel free to send us a private message so we can pull up your account information and offer assistance if needed! I hope you are able to get your concerns resolved smoothly!

Thanks a ton,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
159 Posts
@tipatiya and others -

Just sayin - @TDW11 mentioned this in Post 3, but I'd like to clarify his valid thought,
especially since the operators manual doesn't. Hey A-R Tech Writers, whatsamattayou? :cool:

OK - The English language terms terms "Fresh/Outside Air" & "Recirculated Air" somehow didn't make it onto our Climate Control Panel ;) Of course, this just adds to the character of our Stelvios - LOL!

When going through a car wash, if you have the heater or air conditioner operating,
you need to have the dial on the left set to the letter M for RECIRCULATION so it illuminates directly above it - as in the picture BELOW.

The letter A is for FRESH AIR. Although there is a baffle and water reservoir at the base of the passenger side of the windshield, with the amount of water a modern automated car wash can spray, such as a "touchless wash," water can overload the safety precautions and enter into the passenger side/floor of the cabin...

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your insights and assistance. I'll make sure to try these tips in the very near future as my car needs a wash yesterday :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
go to dealer, state the problem. they should install plastic cover over body ECU. later models have it installed from factory.
and before every car wash do as TDW11 and fast_dave suggested - put air recirculation into M (puts HVAC into recirculation mode and closes outside fresh air flap).

some minor note - A isn't for fresh air - it's for automatic mode, so HVAC switches between fresh and recirculation depending on temperature and pollution sensor inputs. to set flap for fresh air, press it so no LED is lit.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
170 Posts
How can I check, if I have that plastic cover installed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts