Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

With marketing like this:

• Looik out! Alfas will clog the streets!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Look out! Alfa is doomed!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Give'm a break. This is just the begining of a major USA push.

Votes: 8 80.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

2018 Stelvio and love it! We have had multiple conversations about Alfa marketing or lack there of. I believe this is the first marketing email I have received in 3 yrs. Granted it does link to more info on the web but certainly doesn't convey the best of an Alfa or compel the reader to find out more.

Needless to say, it is underwhelming, but hay its something!?

Car Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I think the problem is Alfa believes thier cars good enough to sell without the giant marketing dept.

I agree with them, except think they need to bump the warranty to 10 years on the powertrain because .... "Reputation".

(which is outdated and doesn't apply ... But they need to show it)

All that said ... I expect to see alot more marketing for the Tonale.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the Boston area and have also seen a few Alfa commercials but all are from local dealerships and not glitzy manufacturer ads. There are three dealers w/i 25 miles of me and I will say Alfas are not uncommon. I agree with ALFAOFFROAD. They are battling an old rep for poor reliability and need to change that reputation. Uping the warranty and a sustained quality marketing program is a must. Living cheep w/o marketing and hoping the car's performance alone (as good as it is) just isn't enough to win over the American consumer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If they had spent their F1 money on marketing they’d have tripled sales in the US imo. All they need to do is provoke enough interest to get a buyer to look at one THEN the car will sell itself.

Hopefully Tonale marketing will not die after year one as they’ve seemingly done in the past. I’m betting Tonale interest will end up selling some Stelvios as well.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I think that perception might be part of the problem.

Yes... The car sells itself to people who can form their own opinions.

However, A LOT of humans are not capable of doing that. A lot.

As evidence of this, I offer social media.... and pretty much every "trend" to ever go viral. People capable of thinking for themselves would not participate in ANY of these idiotic "challenges".... Yet... Millions do. Millions of humans old enough to be adults.

Those people, need to be marketed to, as they don't like ANYTHING that they aren't manipulated into liking first. Thier tastes are formed by marketing and the opinions of people around them (who themselves have options formed by marketing) not by their own experiences....these people literally don't know what they like till someone else tells them what they like it in a way that let's them think it was thier idea.

I call it being a human bulldog. Cause that's how I have to train my bulldogs to do anything.....which is a pain till you figure out how it works, then it's unbelievably easy.

There are alot of these people.... IMO Alfa doesn't even show up on their radar, other then as something to trash due to ancient reputation.

I realize this is a horribly jaded perspective.... It really does seem to be the state of things though.

We no longer live in a world where a majority of people say... "Just cause everyone else is jumping of a cliff doesn't mean I should."

Now people worry more about "fear of missing out", and push thier way to front of the cliff jumping line so they won't be last to do it and get made fun of......while their parents cheer them on, complaining about how they wish they could do it too but they are too old now damnit.

Those people gotta be marketed to.

Or just give 'em a long term warranty, since that is easier and appeals to similar base needs for outside affirmation while also negating the fear instinct which is a major factor in anything that serves as motivation. Fear of missing out, fear of being laughed at, fear of choosing something that might not be as good as something else....fear of confrontation with a repair shop.. fear of unexpected repair bills, etc. Negate the fear with a warranty.

It's a real problem and IMO... A big reason why as a society anxiety levels are rising dramatically. I am not a fan of any of these trends.... However, I can admit..... It is how the world "works" and successful companies play the game better then Alfa does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With 2400 Dodge dealers in the US versus 170 Alfa and a 10k price advantage the Hornet’s sales will obliterate the Tonale’s in the US. Right or wrong that appears to be Stellantis’ intent.

I still think Tonale will be a boost for US Alfa dealers but not as much as they really need. Europe should fare far better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts