Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Share what you did today with the Alfa Romeo Stelvio community!

Example: Went to the dealership and picked up my Stelvio!

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week :(

Example: Detailed the the interior and applied leather protectant on the seats.

Anything goes!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Installed an aftermarket high flow air filter. Haven't really noticed a difference, but maybe a bit more airflow/acceleration.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Installed an aftermarket high flow air filter. Haven't really noticed a difference, but maybe a bit more airflow/acceleration.
High flow air filters were made for racing. You won't ever notice anything unless the throttle body fully opens the butterfly valve for a prolonged period like on a race track with constant speed. Even on a Dyno your engine must be in the highest revs for it to register a minute difference.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I thought the filters being less restrictive increased airflow at all speeds. Or is that just their marketing to sell them.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
being that there is a turbo forcing air into the engine, after sucking it through the airbox, the effect is minimal.
if the existing air passage was very restrictive, it would yield more benefits, but it would be pretty redundant to design an engine that relies on high boost to make power and then make it impossible for air to get to the turbo.
so maybe a bit at the top - and maybe a bit before the turbo has a chance to spool up, but .....

·
Registered
508 Posts
I thought the filters being less restrictive increased airflow at all speeds. Or is that just their marketing to sell them.
The intent of the air filter is to filter dust, insect, debris, etc. The amount of air fed to the engine is regulated by the butterfly valve which works in tandem with the fuel throttle control valve. The more you press on the gas pedal the more the butterfly valve opens which in turn feeds more air to the engine. At full throttle the butterfly valve is open at %100. But how often do you drive like that? sprints don't count. To see results you have to drive at full throttle for prolonged periods.
Now if you somehow manage to feed more air to the engine you also need to account for that volume air exiting the engine, otherwise you create a back pressure which might in the long run mess with the O2 sensor and the throttle valve computer settings. That's why in race cars the air intake is modified all the way thru the exhaust. Normal cars have more back pressure because of the restrictions in the exhaust system due to the catalytic converter, the muffler and pipe bends.

All in all the high flow air filters are for race cars, but clever marketing has made their sale to the public very profitable.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
sorry Marco, the point of the 02 sensor is to tell the computer to adjust the fuel delivered to correspond to the air intake.
changing your filter isn't going to "mess" with anything.
normal cars/race cars the fundamentals remain the sAme as far is restricting intake and exhaust.
forced induction changes things as far as inflow, and if the forces induction is a turbo it by definition is a "restriction' on the exhaust side.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sorry Marco, the point of the 02 sensor is to tell the computer to adjust the fuel delivered to correspond to the air intake.
changing your filter isn't going to "mess" with anything.
normal cars/race cars the fundamentals remain the sAme as far is restricting intake and exhaust.
forced induction changes things as far as inflow, and if the forces induction is a turbo it by definition is a "restriction' on the exhaust side.
read it again!

·
Registered
348 Posts
So needless to say, an expensive aftermarket CAI system is a total waste of $$$ with a turbo?

I did buy new floor mats:)

Reactions: NHAlfa

·
Registered
348 Posts
Anyone have opinions on ECM mods? waste of $$$, warranty issues, engine will implode etc ?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
cold air when the turbo is spinning very slowly will give some benefit - but the turbo itself is heating the air up when pressurizing it.
if/when you get to maximum pressure, regardless of whether its from no air cleaner, fancy induction, or high revs, there is a pressure relief valve, which limits the maximum pressure, and therefor the power output.

ECM mods can give you more power IF they alter something, like maximum rpm. otherwise they may change where you make power, but they aren't going to give more unless giving up emissions or reliability.

whether anything is worth it is subjective - if you like to hear the air getting sucked in that might be worth something to you. I would expect low rpm responsivess would be where you get the maximum benefit from a better air cleaner, but if it is drawing hot air from the engine compartment it probably won't amount to much.
as far as I know, no one has posted video of a proper dyno power run with a stelvio or giulia 4, so be wary of claims.

Eurocompulsion has spent a lot of time trying - and they are honest about the results, and why they might recomend certain products; I haven't followed others enough to have an opinion, or what they are claiming.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the past two months since I purchased my Stelvi I’ve tinted the windows, wrapped rear diffuser in carbon fiber, carbon fiber overlay on the front V grille, hexomat mats.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Programmed the garage door opener...easy-peasy. Anyone use the cargo net yet?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
@47 degrees I took the opportunity to pull out the hose and do the first hand wash. Compared to my previous vehicle the Stelvio is a snap to wash: flush windows and the flush roof rails + open wheels (20") made an easy job. Quick wipe + it looks like new once again. As I adjust to all of the little things day-by-day, I am very pleased with many small but thoughtful touches in the design + execution.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Waking an old thread...

What did I do today for my Stelvio - set up my 30K service appointment - 30 thousand incredibly fun miles! Here's to the next 30K and the 30K after that... Can't get enough of it... Actually, I think I need to go for a drive, see ya. btw, a black Giulia got in behind me this morning tooling through town - sort of like a little brother following me down the road...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I had to reply to my colleague that also lived in Richmond, VA @TiSport. Did nothing special to my Stelvio today, but on Tuesday I had the latest recall done (ACC). Latest picture, also now in my signature.

Attachments

Reactions: TiSport

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Basically what Marco is saying in that old post, I think, is that changing the air filter to a less restrictive design doesn't do much of anything if the exhaust is not also made less restrictive.

He is also thinking that long term the computer algorithms that govern the function of the O2 sensor and throttle valve could be effected.

I agree with the first. For the most part changing to a cloth filter has the benefit of not having to buy new filters. That would be it. (It can also make your check engine light come on more, because they are easy to over oil. Under oiled and they don't filter properly.) The "cone" type air filter...ehh..honestly not a fan. Often they just serve to suck in hotter air because they are pulling from the engine compartment. True low restriction designs that still take in cool air from outside the engine bay can definitely be nice, but they are not the most common style of filter replacement and not even available for many cars (haven't really looked into the Stelvio designs). For any of the low restriction designs to actually make any noticeable difference they really do need to be matched with a full replacement of the exhaust to lower back pressure also (everything Lost said is true, however the stock programming does allow for a certain amount of automatic adjust that could result in a few HP gained even without a tune, but like maybe 10-20hp at the most). BUT if you do that, they are really sweet, combined with a tune and they can be freakin' awesome. Alone though, they look cool and save on replacement filters in the long run.

The second, I get the concept but have never seen an issue pop up due to changing the air filter other than the check engine light needing to be reset, after the M.A.F. gets cleaned off and sometimes replaced in extreme cases of over oiling the filter.

I am about to go do a full interior detail to my Stelvio! (cause I realized there is waay too much dog hair on the headliner in back)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts