Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
“You just cant expect it to be reliable”

The basis for this assertion is what?
I have three Alfa’s now, a 2017 4C, a 2018 Stelvio that gets driven 30k miles/year in remote areas and in harsh winter conditions and now a 2020 Giulia. All have been rock solid with ZERO issues.
The idea that modern Alfas are unreliable is largely a function of 30 year old impressions (well deserved) from their last North American offerings in the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
443 Posts
Consumers Reports rates AR as the second worse make as far as reliability. I have one anyway!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think CR is making their assessment on "Predicted reliability". That's a whole different animal than actual results. I have scoured the internet for info on these cars and have visited with more than one service manager. Owners seem to be very happy with their Alfas, and I feel like the service managers have been straight with me.

I have no allusions that an Alfa is going to keep pace with Toyota on reliability, nor do I think it's going to be down there with JLR, as indicated by Consumer Reports. My guess is that Alfa will be middle of the pack at some point, as actual results are tracked. It is much easier for CR to beat down a model and then later upgrade it, than it is to say "oh yes this is going to be a good car", and only two years later the thing is a dog. I really do like Consumer Reports and trust them, but there are some elements in their evaluations that are questionable.

Realize, too, that even the worst new car today is light years ahead of a new car 10 years ago in many ways, and the bar keeps moving.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With respect to Alfa Romeo, Consumer Reports, doesn’t yet have a large enough sample size to opine on anything other than “predicted reliability”.

·
497 Posts
Consumers Reports rates AR as the second worse make as far as reliability. I have one anyway!
I gave up on Consumer Reports decades ago. But I haven't given up on Alfas. Both my 1969 Spider and now my 2019 Stelvio have been reliable.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI SPORT AWD 2020 Vesuvio Gray Metallic / Red Interior
59 Posts
did you purchase the Alfa Romeo?? I thought I saw it selling on EBAY....... You can have the stripes removed should not be a huge problem....looks nice for a starter car... My first car was a Buick skylark and it handled like my granny's slice of olive....
john

·
Registered
Stelvio Veloce 280, GTV TS, 159 SW
30 Posts
Personally don’t like them, plenty of 911 and 968 Porsches have them too. Not a fan, too boy racer for this old man

As the OP’s daughter is probably young I imagine she may well love the stripes though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
CR plays the reliability card against Alfa just like CNN plays the race card on dam near everything they see. I think in both cases they must be using 40 year old data. Shame on both.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I buy my daughter a red stelvio, I kind of like the looks of this on the lower panels. Thoughts?

View attachment 21570
I'm not really feeling it unless it's actual paint. I've just never been into decals/stickers except for affiliation in a tasteful location, subdued. Very personal though. I don't think it looks BAD, I just wouldn't.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wait...buying this for your daughter? How old is she? If this is a "Gotta get my spawn a college whip" post...just don't. Buy her something where she won't need to go 2 hours to get to the dealer and that has some STRONG residual value. She can buy whatever she wants when she isn't financially handicapped. Until then, set her up for success in a vehicle that will hold value if and when she decides she needs something else. Just my .02, as a former teen who wishes he'd had a boring ass RAV4 or 4Runner right out of college instead of corvettes and 370's and all manner of stuff. I'd be much further ahead right now financially, lol!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts