Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks who bought a new 2020 Stelvio, without a spare tire.

What do you have under the rear cargo floor?

Looks like I’m missing quite a few components in there :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Instead of the repair kit, I put a temporary OE
20200205_182637.jpg
spare wheel. the wheel is without air - when you mount it, you pump it with a compressor

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2020 Stelvio did not come with a spare tire. It only came with the air compressor and fix-a-flat type stuff. Problem is, the factory tires are not run flat tires. Apparently no 2020 Stelvios have run-flats. So, I ended up putting in the factory spare tire kit. The hold down bolt and warning triangle are not in pic, but I have them now...it took a while to get those. The dealership sold the kit to me for $450 - which is what the price would have been had I ordered it from the factory. If you go out and buy all the components to the spare tire kit from the dealer... it'll cost a whole lot more.
Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
my car also only had a repair kit - I bought a spare wheel online, a jack and this styrofoam insert and it's ready.
The rear floor in the 2020 version is the same as in the earlier vintages.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you also need such a plate fixing the wheel to the floor above the battery - otherwise you will damage the battery. The wheel must be screwed on

·
Registered
188 Posts
Illicit goods, mostly. Some kompromat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just as an FYI, here's a previous discussion about the Stelvio spare tire:

The parts I bought to create the spare tire kit was different that the parts list in that discussion.
Here are my parts:

68374866-AA Bracket (this mounts to the floor with three bolts. The bracket is positioned across the battery. The tire hold-down bolt screws into this bracket)
68311640-AA Screw, Hex (you need three of these. Attaches bracket to floor of car)
68493999-AA Bin Floor (the foam that is placed on the trunk floor in which the tire and tools are placed)
6ME20MX5-AA Wheel Kit (the spare tire itself)
68493998-AA Bolt (this is the tire hold-down bolt which keeps the spare tire from getting airborne every time you hit a bump)
68464183-AA Compressor (I didn't order this because I already had the Alfa Romeo compressor)
68365690-AA Jack
68365402-AA Wrench
68312340-AA Triangle:Warning

The parts are listed in the order everything is installed, but that's just my OCD kicking in....

Reactions: RossoStelvio

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2020 Stelvio did not come with a spare tire. It only came with the air compressor and fix-a-flat type stuff. Problem is, the factory tires are not run flat tires. Apparently no 2020 Stelvios have run-flats. So, I ended up putting in the factory spare tire kit. The hold down bolt and warning triangle are not in pic, but I have them now...it took a while to get those. The dealership sold the kit to me for $450 - which is what the price would have been had I ordered it from the factory. If you go out and buy all the components to the spare tire kit from the dealer... it'll cost a whole lot more.
Ed

View attachment 19620
Where did you get the foam insert and the tire and jack from? My dealer told me that nothing is available to convert the cargo compartment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got it all from my dealership here in Houston. I did have trouble explaining what I needed. During the course of our conversations he did mumble something about a TSB that pertained to installing a spare tire in a Stelvio that didn't come with it from the factory.

Here are the two floor bins side-by-side

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before and after....

...and here is the bracket installed...

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Just a heads up. The compressor that comes with the car is incredibly cheap.

Mine burned out about 6 months ago just from airing up the tires a few psi once a month.

If you're going to invest in a spare tire kit when the car didn't come with one (smart to do)...spend the additional few bucks and get a new compressor. One capable of fully inflating a tire without burning out.

Really..get rid of the entier factory kit with the compressor and tire goop..both the goop and the compressor are trash. The goop has the consistency of wood glue, way too heavy makes driving the car horrible and is way harder than it should be to clean off the rim after.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
71 Posts
Just a heads up. The compressor that comes with the car is incredibly cheap.

Mine burned out about 6 months ago just from airing up the tires a few psi once a month.

If you're going to invest in a spare tire kit when the car didn't come with one (smart to do)...spend the additional few bucks and get a new compressor. One capable of fully inflating a tire without burning out.

Really..get rid of the entier factory kit with the compressor and tire goop..both the goop and the compressor are trash. The goop has the consistency of wood glue, way too heavy makes driving the car horrible and is way harder than it should be to clean off the rim after.
Very good information to know before you end up in the middle of nowhere with a deflated spare. DUMB QUESTION: What is the included screwdriver in the tire compartment for?

·
Registered
27 Posts
@ALFAOFFROAD Thanks for the heads up. The compressor did look cheap to me, so that confirms it. I don't intend to use the alfa compressor except in emergencies. I use my own compressors in the garage when the cars are at home. That said, if I go on road trips I have a portable air compressor that I take with me. I guess I'll leave it in the trunk always now.
@My Beautiful Stelvio the screwdriver? I wouldn't know what that would be used for. lol. My BMWs always had one in the factory tool kit, but that made sense back in the 70's when you could work on your own cars...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just as an FYI, here's a previous discussion about the Stelvio spare tire:

The parts I bought to create the spare tire kit was different that the parts list in that discussion.
Here are my parts:

68374866-AA Bracket (this mounts to the floor with three bolts. The bracket is positioned across the battery. The tire hold-down bolt screws into this bracket)
68311640-AA Screw, Hex (you need three of these. Attaches bracket to floor of car)
68493999-AA Bin Floor (the foam that is placed on the trunk floor in which the tire and tools are placed)
6ME20MX5-AA Wheel Kit (the spare tire itself)
68493998-AA Bolt (this is the tire hold-down bolt which keeps the spare tire from getting airborne every time you hit a bump)
68464183-AA Compressor (I didn't order this because I already had the Alfa Romeo compressor)
68365690-AA Jack
68365402-AA Wrench
68312340-AA Triangle:Warning

The parts are listed in the order everything is installed, but that's just my OCD kicking in....
Thank you atcdork. Just a couple of questions.
I'm confused on the pricing. Was it $450 ordered from the dealer?
Also, does the foam insert just pull out?
Does installing the bracket that goes over the battery entail drilling any holes or are they already there?

Thanks again for the info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts