Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SailDrive was a frequent contributor to this board. Have not heard from him in the last 4-5 weeks. Is he okay?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Speculation only: There was a bit of conflict behind the scenes with one poster who has since left the forum. I can only assume he walked because of it. Social media and dealing with people isn't always easy.

All I can say is hope he's loving his Stelvio and I will be looking for him cruising the roads in CT next week! Not like he'd be hard to spot with that cool front end or anything.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
For the most part we are really a collegial group and it is a rough balance of reality and maintaining a positive and open conversation. People being people, the product of a lifetime of experiences (not all of them good) so it is expected that there be some misunderstandings or over-the-top comments. Everything is not personal however for some, the first reaction is defensiveness or lashing out at misinterpreted (usually innocent) slights or offense.

It has been stated before that perspective is important on a public forum. I have seen other forums become a nasty bi+chfest and it is good advice for all of us to consider the perception of potential Alfistas who come here with a preconceived idea thanks to Jalopnik, Top Gear or other idiot YouTube wannabes (a few notable exceptions) looking for 15 minutes of fame.

Speaking for myself- I am very concerned about Elizabeth or Lost's delivery process and problems others have but **** has no fury like a righteously scorned consumer and I come here to celebrate and enjoy interchanges about this vehicle and brand, not to hear some insufferable hater pee in the punchbowl. We're all grown ups (or should be) and despite the anonymity of the Internet have some responsibility to perspective and truth.

So I encourage everyone to realize we are living in a glass house and maintain a healthy perspective so others don't bail or think we're jerks. As to SailDrive I am speculating with background knowledge ugliness behind the scenes drove him away.

Exit soapbox for the day. Now go enjoy your Stelvios (and best wishes to Elizabeth and Lost for fast resolution and restoring enthusiasm once more)!

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
It was my impression, too, that he had a pretty intense job so maybe duty has his attention at the moment.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Speaking to a human and hearing the tone in voice, humour etc are all so much more clearly interpreted than the typed word for many of us. I get called out on occasion for being too direct, and I try to tone it down, but in person, folks quickly realize its light hearted humout from someone that doesn't take life too seriously. Let's all keep this in mind. Instead of a counter attack suggest a rephrase, for example.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts