Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question... What happens to warranties, service support, parts supply chain, etc. not to mention resale value if AR leaves the US again? What do we think the probability of this happening is anyway?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We would still have many Fiat Chysler products. I assume service and warranty claims would not be an issue. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tomorrow is always unknown. The Stelvio is a joy. Joy is needed in life. Enjoy the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, and hedge by buying bitcoin. 🚀

·
Registered
87 Posts
What happened when Hummer closed it's doors?

I sold mine but many still going strong and now there brining them back in electric form.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This may be a dumb question... What happens to warranties, service support, parts supply chain, etc. not to mention resale value if AR leaves the US again? What do we think the probability of this happening is anyway?
As I understand it the Fed Govt requires that a manufacturer continue to make parts for like 20 years or something after they discontinue a model. I may be full of it but I recall reading that somewhere to ensure people don't get screwed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Premature speculation. FCA-Peugeot are not likely to take Alfa out of the US although the future product line seems a bit unresolved. The market is too big to not spread some of their fixed costs in a huge geography. Could they shut down the entire Giorgio platform, or sell it along with the Alfa brand? I guess so, they took the Giorgio platform write-down as reported.

I guess we would be back in the post-1995 world with the 164, or Saab world. Quad prices might plummet and I will be buying a Guilia QV or 4C to drive on sunny days.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I guess speculation is appropriate, just my opinion, speculation is never premature. My apologies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the replies..

I guess since Alfa is now partnered up with Fiat and Chrysler, I do feel pretty secure with future warranty support. I would probably hit 50,000 miles and be out of the primary factory warranty within two and a half years anyway, and AR wouldn't have pulled out by then.

Routine maintenance shouldn't be an issue... From what I understand changing the oil and brakes is about as easy as it gets for a modern day vehicle?

Parts availability could be a pain.. From what I understand, it already is a challenge; and AR are still very much here! Please pardon my ignorance- will F or C be using the Giorgio platform for any other vehicles that will be available in the US?

Think internal combustion engine cars will all plummet in value in a few years. It won't matter if its a RAV4 or a poorly maintained pink Bentley. This will probably be my last internal combustion car ever, so shoot, might as well go with something I actually enjoy for a change even if there is slightly more risk.. I wonder if they will actually pull off the Tonale.... I'm sorry but if they came up with the Varta battery as the best choice from test and an engineering trade study (if they did one) then I think we should all be concerned.. Am getting off topic..

Indeed, a primary factor precipitating my concern that AR may be leaving us in the medium term future is significant ambiguity and changes in course of the future product line.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies..

I guess since Alfa is now partnered up with Fiat and Chrysler, I do feel pretty secure with future warranty support. I would probably hit 50,000 miles and be out of the primary factory warranty within two and a half years anyway, and AR wouldn't have pulled out by then.

Routine maintenance shouldn't be an issue... From what I understand changing the oil and brakes is about as easy as it gets for a modern day vehicle?

Parts availability could be a pain.. From what I understand, it already is a challenge; and AR are still very much here! Please pardon my ignorance- will F or C be using the Giorgio platform for any other vehicles that will be available in the US?

Think internal combustion engine cars will all plummet in value in a few years. It won't matter if its a RAV4 or a poorly maintained pink Bentley. This will probably be my last internal combustion car ever, so shoot, might as well go with something I actually enjoy for a change even if there is slightly more risk.. I wonder if they will actually pull off the Tonale.... I'm sorry but if they came up with the Varta battery as the best choice from test and an engineering trade study (if they did one) then I think we should all be concerned.. Am getting off topic..

Indeed, a primary factor precipitating my concern that AR may be leaving us in the medium term future is significant ambiguity and changes in course of the future product line.
Interesting thought about internal combustion vehicles....probably initially devalued and then "collector items" for former high end IC vehicles...who knows. I also wonder if my GMC and Stelvio are my last IC vehicles....I doubt it...probably next round. Certainly, I do not believe 4x4 pickups are there yet (off topic).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah - hard to say if they will use the platform forever like the Dodge Charger or the current grand Cherokee, or an Alfa 105 or 116, or throw out a multi-billion dollar platform investment

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting thought about internal combustion vehicles....probably initially devalued and then "collector items" for former high end IC vehicles...who knows. I also wonder if my GMC and Stelvio are my last IC vehicles....I doubt it...probably next round. Certainly, I do not believe 4x4 pickups are there yet (off topic).
Most of the people I talk to about this are all saying probably next round... Who knows what will happen.. Maybe in ten years the federal government (well at least CA if not the local governments here) will incentivize us to turn in our fossil fuel burning vehicles, beyond the the rebates to pick up a vehicle that doesn't as that we have now.. I think there will be plenty of nice collector gas guzzlers around and on the roads though...

Heck, with almost all four wheeled vehicles being autonomous, I might even get back into riding motorcycles :)

Way, way off topic... Yeah, I think I'm going to buy a Stelvio this weekend...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What happens if gas vehicles are banned.....yea right. Texas will take up arms within 24nrs

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Someone please explain something to me....

How it is that Alfa is destined for failure because sales are down...23% 2019 to 2018.

But Tesla and electric cars are the future because sales are unstopable....despite being
27% down for Tesla, 2019 to 2018. (With signicantly better and more press than say...Alfa Romeo)

Oh..it's not sales, it cleanness and the environment...

Ok then, explain how those giant non-recyclable battery packs are clean.

Explain how in 30 years with the entier gas fleet of over 1 billion cars worldwide replaced with electrics how the battery waste won't be worse than gasoline...not to mention the environmental costs of mining rare materials, and (more important) the social cost of sending billions of dollars to countries run by Terrorists and War Lords.

I get new stuff is cool and "instant torque" is fun. Doesn't change the fact that as a solution to environmental and social problems electrification might be a situation where the cure is worse than the desease.

That regulations and forced market controls might make us switch to electrification regardless of consumer wishes....alright, I accept that will likely happen...doesnt mean it's a good idea.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Someone please explain something to me....

How it is that Alfa is destined for failure because sales are down...23% 2019 to 2018.

But Tesla and electric cars are the future because sales are unstopable....despite being
27% down for Tesla, 2019 to 2018. (With signicantly better and more press than say...Alfa Romeo)

Oh..it's not sales, it cleanness and the environment...

Ok then, explain how those giant non-recyclable battery packs are clean.

Explain how in 30 years with the entier gas fleet of over 1 billion cars worldwide replaced with electrics how the battery waste won't be worse than gasoline...not to mention the environmental costs of mining rare materials, and (more important) the social cost of sending billions of dollars to countries run by Terrorists and War Lords.

I get new stuff is cool and "instant torque" is fun. Doesn't change the fact that as a solution to environmental and social problems electrification might be a situation where the cure is worse than the desease.

That regulations and forced market controls might make us switch to electrification regardless of consumer wishes....alright, I accept that will likely happen...doesnt mean it's a good idea.
Bit off topic, but found this article re: lithium which is rather disturbing. Somewhat reminds me of the introduction of MTBE into gasoline formulations in the 90s to help "clean the air" only to discover is was highly soluble/mobile and was contaminating groundwater. Lithium use does not seem sustainable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts