Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only slight disappointment in my 280bhp Alfa is I am getting no where near the MPG quoted on the Alfa website.
My Best on a run is 23.8 and I am averaging 22.00
I am in UK so this is based on Imperial Galloons

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I was getting 14 MPG in US gallons, but a few days later my fuel pump failed (should be getting it back today!) so there may have been additional contributing factors to my poor MPG.

Also, FWIW, I saw a thread somewhere else where they Dyno tested the engine, and found it making 285 HP at the wheels, so perhaps some worse than expected fuel economy is not a bad thing :grin

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So far 24 in mixed driving, including traffic (conservative driving for break-in period). Best result will be in a few thousand miles. The trick is staying out of that turbo unless its needed and, of course, selective use of 'Dynamic' setting/driving. Direct injection, 8 speed, stop/start, etc. should make a difference. Interesting to see how it plays out.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Haven't gotten my Ti Sport back yet, they didn't have the correct tools to remove the fuel pump until end of the day Friday, but I've been driving a Stelvio Sport (Non-Ti) dealer loaner since Friday, put 175 miles on over the weekend and averaged 21.8 MPG (US) so far. I have driven the loaner with essentially the same driving style as normal (except it's the Non-Ti so it's got the smaller width tires with taller sidewalls, and also lacks the adaptive suspension, so it doesn't corner nearly as well).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Typically about 22 but Id rive hard and switch
modes a lot, including manual paddles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
mileage

As a caveat...in "A" mode and driving like my mom.......26 to 28

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
So far 24 in mixed driving, including traffic (conservative driving for break-in period). Best result will be in a few thousand miles. The trick is staying out of that turbo unless its needed and, of course, selective use of 'Dynamic' setting/driving. Direct injection, 8 speed, stop/start, etc. should make a difference. Interesting to see how it plays out.

First trip to DC today, about 400 miles round trip-- average to date mixed driving from the first mile is showing 28 MPG (running 93 octane). Frankly I'm very impressed! I was always told it takes about 5000 miles for a new engine to seat and loosen up. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Agree with the 22 mpg when switching modes and using paddles; however, I have reached 27 - 28 in "A" mode on the freeway for two hours.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You guys have 93 octane? Nice!! Stupid California with only 91

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Still in the 'honeymoon' phase, I will splurge for 93 octane (even though I've been alternating 89 and 91 in the wife's A4 for years. Compared to my previous Jeep with 5.7 V8, we figure we'll save $100-200/month in fuel alone and mte shows 467 when the tank is full + I am very aware of NOT needing to fill it up, small but significant life improvement, especially during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
You guys have 93 octane? Nice!! Stupid California with only 91
Stupid Connecticut, my choices are 87, 89 or 93. haven't seen a pump with the less expensive 91 in a while :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Guys ,

right now in Montreal we are seeing Gas prices at 1.28$ - 1.36$ Per liter... seeing that the Stelvio takes premium gas.. can we get away with regular octane ? or possibly 89 ?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hi Guys ,

right now in Montreal we are seeing Gas prices at 1.28$ - 1.36$ Per liter... seeing that the Stelvio takes premium gas.. can we get away with regular octane ? or possibly 89 ?
in most cars the result is the computer retards ignition timing to prevent knock, and you reduce HP and fuel efficiency as a result. Some cars (Audi in particular) are unable to compensate for the lower octane fuel enough and suffer significant knock problems, which will prematurely wear out engine components (primarily the pistons, connecting rods, bearings, and cam shaft), or in some cases cause catastrophic engine failure.

There's a good youtube channel called EngineeringExplained, he recently covered some information pertaining to this. summary is that for normal driving most cars that don't suffer from knock problems are "better" with 87 octane because the % of power increase is less than the % additional fuel cost, but only as long as the engine can compensate for the low octane fuel. However some tested vehicles saw as much as a 5-10% increase in horsepower & torque from the better fuel under load.

I suspect (but haven't tested) the high compression + 22PSI of max boost in our cars will result in significant knock problems. I did the calculations based upon the published displacement, bore and stroke numbers and got a 17.38:1 compression ratio, which is bordering on insanity if that's correct, and tells me that running anything lower than 91 octane will probably result in bad knock.

FWIW, the official requirement is Premium unleaded, 91 octane (R+M)/2

1 - 20 of 47 Posts