Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find anything about what weight and how much oil for a oil change. Any recommendations on type? Also if oil change goes 10,000 miles should I rotate the tires at 5,000? Thanks for the advise. I really enjoy the car as I was able to outrun a porche on a county road this weekend. Got it way over 100 MPH and she still had a lot left in her as I passed him. He gave me a thumbs up and stopped me later to talk about Alfa. Might have a convert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few weeks ago I changed my oil at 5,000 miles. I bought 6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Euro 0W-30 from Advance Auto Parts and went to MoparOnlinePart.com to get the oil filter. If you are a DIY'er changing the oil in the Stelvio is very easy as both the drain plug and filter are at the bottom of the engine. There are no clearance issues or other parts of the car in the way or may get oil dripped on.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
How did it look at 5K?

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did it look at 5K?
Dark but not black. I probably could have let it go to 7500 maybe 10K miles at the most extreme. But, and this is my opinion, I don't believe in the 10-15 or even with some newer oils 20,000 mile oil change interval. If you are leasing or only going to keep it till the warranty is done then those intervals are probably fine. I plan on keeping my Stelvio for at least a few years and the piece of mind I get from doing oil changes more frequently helps negate the worry of carbon build up on the valves that direct injection engines seem to be notorious for.

Reactions: ALFAOFFROAD

·
Registered
18 Posts
A very interesting thing happened to me!! I called the local Mopar dealer parts department to make sure they had the oil and filter in stock. The parts rep said that they do not sale any oil and oil filter for the Stelvio????
Sacramento Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Make Your Preferred Dealer
Change dealer

Open Today : 8:00AM - 5:00PM
3610 Fulton Avenue | Sacramento, CA 95821-1852 Get Directions
(916) 229-8900
So I’ll be stopping at Autozone

·
Administrator
661 Posts
My 2019 Stelvio manual says to use SN Plus meeting FCA MS-13340.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 Full Synthetic is SN, not SN Plus and has no mention of MS-13340.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full synthetic does have SN Plus and MS-13340 ratings. However it isn't 0W-30. Where I'm at, the winter temperature doesn't get really cold so I don't think the 5W vs. 0W makes that much difference to me.

I have no idea if no SN Plus or MS13340 matters or not.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If the Pennzoli Euro is good enough for the Maserati, its good enough for the Alfa....of course, in appropriate weight. This whole oil game is trying to confuse the public and get people to get vehicle serviced at the dealer. Half the time, the dealer doesn't use the right oil!!

Reactions: WOP_Drive

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My 2019 Stelvio manual says to use SN Plus meeting FCA MS-13340.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 Full Synthetic is SN, not SN Plus and has no mention of MS-13340.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 Full synthetic does have SN Plus and MS-13340 ratings. However it isn't 0W-30. Where I'm at, the winter temperature doesn't get really cold so I don't think the 5W vs. 0W makes that much difference to me.

I have no idea if no SN Plus or MS13340 matters or not.
Correct my manuals state the same. The pp euro lx 0w30 does not meet the required ms13340 spec and the pp 5w30 does not technically meet the cold viscosity requirement.

The mopar max plus 0w30 meets all requirements and is the correct oil to use to be warranty compliant.

Mike

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Castrol also has an SNplus 0W-30, I believe. I know the 0W-20 is SN Plus.
0W-30 has become a PIA oil to find. 10W-30 became 5W-30 became 0W-30 which has been replace by many vehicles with 0W-20 or 5W-20. New Hondas use a 0W-16!!. Interesting because many Euro perfomance cars run 5W-40. Is their a 0W-40??

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Castrol also has an SNplus 0W-30, I believe. I know the 0W-20 is SN Plus.
0W-30 has become a PIA oil to find. 10W-30 became 5W-30 became 0W-30 which has been replace by many vehicles with 0W-20 or 5W-20. New Hondas use a 0W-16!!. Interesting because many Euro perfomance cars run 5W-40. Is their a 0W-40??
Not that meets ms13340. Thats the problem or id just use pennzoil

In the 2.0l alfa calls for

Weight: 0W-30
API: SN Plus
Oil quality requirement: MS-13340

The only thing easy to find in the usa that meets this is max power plus if you want to meet warranty requirements

After warranty id consider using pennzoil platinum 5W-30 (NOT THE EURO LX)

This one is the correct viscosity (with the exception of cold rating), is SN Plus and meets MS-13340 (euro lx does not meet either). You definitely want an oil that meets sn plus and ms13340 if ar calls for it. Low speed pre ignition is no bueno for an engine

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Certifications are mostly a game. If a given formulation style has even one weight that meets a given certification, all weight will meet that cert even if they dont all carry the official badge.

To get an oil certified to a given standard oil companies must submit each and every weight of a given formulation (Euro, Max Power, etc) to be certified. For brands this amounts to millions in fees.

As such oil manufacturers and private label brands (like Mopar, who does not refine or manufacture oil. They put their own label on another manufacturer's oil, generally ExxonMobil) do not submit oil for new certification till there is adequate demand to justify the cost. OE brand like Mopar have an essentially captive consumer-base due to warrenty requirments as such they will generally be certified first as they can just pass the cost along to the consumer easier with less fear of losing them due to higher pricing.

0w30 weight oil, with the low viscosity and carbon requirments is not a high demand product. As such not many brands outside of "Mopar" have paid to have that specific weight certified to those specific standards.

However Penzoil Euro does have several weights that have been certified to the standards Mopar requires. This means the refinement process/ingredients/additives used to make the "Euro" line meets those standards, it just hasn't been certified to do so yet.

It ALSO means that since the Mopar oil is actually rebranded Mobil1..
Mobil1 also meets these standards even though it is not certified under it's own brand. Yet...probably will be in a few years, without reformulation. At least according to ExxonMobil on thier website.

Otherwise...if you are going to make a big deal about only buying oil certified to meet the Mopar requirments, the single most important requirment is probably the low temp viscocity.

That standard guarantees proper low temperature consistency of the oil..so the oil can fully and quickly circulate through the entier valvetrain at start-up. (The multiair valvetrain requires more lubrication then a normal variable valve setup, and has lots of very small passages that need low viscosity whem cold or the oil wont flow through them) Very, very important. Even more so then pre-ignition. Which is also important.

I have a case of Penzoil arriving Monday. 'Course I also have a 2018 that doesnt list the same certification requirments in the manual thankfully.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts