Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It's true.

Engine failure isn't the worry.

Because even uncertified oils are reformulated to meet LSPI requirments and have been for so long now, the old formulations are sold out of backstock. Thanks for bringing that up. Great point.

Valvetrain failure is the worry. (In the 4cyl, not quad)

Which is caused not by the wrong certification, but using the wrong viscosity, and/or dirty unchanged oil circulating through the valvetrain's hydraulics.

Lost is right, Amsoil is basically what everyone else sells, marked up to cover the expenses of the warrenty coverage. Which is why the warrenty is shockingly easy to use, and why they have a team ready to sue any manufacturer in any US state who blames thier oil on equipment failure.

Key phrase here...what everyone else sells. Oil is oil, most brands including Amsoil and Mopar aren't even selling oil they refine, they are rebranding oil from shell or BP or another major refinery, even the additives are the same brand to brand, because they all buy from the same few suppliers.

Buy oil, certified by the manufacturer (whether by their own testing or API or ILSAC or ACEA stamps..VW_Audi, DaimlerBenz, Porsche, GM...so many options it is mindblowing) to meet the nessessary standards, then regardless of brand pay attention to the oil being poured out to be sure it is the right color, consistency and smell, as there can be issues with old and/or bad batches with any brand of oil, including Mopar.

Dont let yourself be fear-mongered into anything. Ever.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Bvhdr...you are indeed a legend in your own mind..you love to debate...not negotiate. BTW she has NOT blown up yet

And green is a faster color as everyone knows......o_O

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Well, I didn't say its the same as everyone else's.
I said they buy and rebrand. But I expect they arent buying premium Pennsylvania crude, but likely some cheaper "younger" oil, which requires more refining to get to a reasonable product state.
To which some might say, well fully synthetic what does it matter, its super processed anyway, and maybe it doesnt, but if you start with better stuff maybe the end result is better. Like which grapes make better wine - but the process counts too.
Personally I won't touch amsoil because I expect the $ is spent more on marketing than quality, and find it strange that these threads are usually started by someone "pushing" it.
I dont see any reason not to use a quality oil the manufacturer apprves/recomends.
If I needed to top off in the middle of no where and couldn't get spec oil, the next best thing might be based on the rating , or the weight, depending on temperature.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My contribution is to affect your behavior....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All- Happy Friday! I use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 in my 2018. For those that didn't know the Amsoil Signature Series meets and/or exceeds API SN PLUS.

Purchasing gallons by the case is cheapest. $149 shipped. :)
Tire Font Material property Rectangle Packaging and labeling

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Note that THEY recomend it. Based on their own independent testing.
A subtle distinction. Do what you like, but don't push it as "approved" by anyone other than amsoil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Note that THEY recomend it. Based on their own independent testing.
A subtle distinction. Do what you like, but don't push it as "approved" by anyone other than amsoil.
Not sure who's pushing it as approved? Is that the same as meets or exceeds? I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
There is no doubt you are pushing it, and inferring it does. As do all the amsoil "surrogates" on this and the giulia forum.
It is interesting that none of the actually approved oils have people pushing their product on the forums - just the amsoil people, shall we call them "influencers"? Should we guess they receive some form of incentives for all their hard work trying to get people to overlook the fact that the oil is not api or manufacturer approved?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. It appears I found the forum bully. So it's not ok for me to state what oil I am using for this discussion on "What oil should I use?". I came to this forum to learn and share advice about my Stelvio yet being bullied about my choice in motor oil. Cannot make this stuff up.

For those of you other than this conspiracy theorist who's obviously "lost", I bought my 2018 last July and bought my first oil 3-months later after researching only to find minimal options. It was Mopar (Mobile) or Amsoil so I went with Amsoil. I use Pennzoil in our Jeep and Valvoline in the Honda as they are not a strict.

@mnalfaowner Best of luck with your research! Have a great weekend All.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hmmmmmm updated online v manual in car....that will take an attorney an extra 5 minutes to burn thru.

Reactions: Peter A

·
Registered
81 Posts
I couldnt find any 0w30 that is gf-6, Api sp/sn plus/sn, and ms-13340 compliant but 5w30 has a whole bunch. According to the manual, ill be using a quality brand 5w30 with all the above specs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@bhvrdr so i was comparing Motul 8100 Eco-lite 5w30 to Mobil1 Advanced fuel economy 0w30. Both are GF-6 and API SN Plus.
But under dexos 1 Gen 2 licensed brands, the eco-lite 5w30 has a license number, and not the advanced fuel economy from mobil1.
M1 has other oils that is licensed, but not the 0w30.

I think im still going with the motul 8100 eco-lite 5w30 for my first oil change around 1200 miles.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Either oil is fine, GF6 is the stricter certification, currently it is the strictest certification in the industry as a whole. It meets all Alfa requirements per the "or equivalent" wording in the manual.

Using 5w30 oil could very well void the warranty on the engine. If you want to use Motul, use the correct weight to be safe. At least till you are out of warranty.

If there is a warranty issue, certifications are arguable (there are laws governing such), using the correct weight is not.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Whatever you prefer. The m1 0w30 afe is a great looking oil and will meet the cold viscosity requirement. Its sn plus, sp, gf6a, and dexos 1 gen 2. m1 dexos lic D10102GH015

While that 0w requirement is literally meaningless above negative 22 degrees it's still in the warranty book. To be honest, Motul has it when it comes to their race oils. Ive used their 300v off and on for 20 years in motorsports but their regular stuff is... regular.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
If you think about it @bhvrdr,

The variations that may or may not exist at temperature extremes isn't the point.

The iffy dealer service and crap support from Alfa Romeo corporate when presented with problems are the issue. Seriously, we both should stick to recommending what is printed in the manual regardless of anything else. Sadly Alfa is simply not reliable enough in terms of service and customer support for it to be advisable to suggest using anything other than what's in the manual. Even we don't argue about how important oil changes are and keeping records of them. The oil weight is on that record for a reason.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts