Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whatever you prefer. The m1 0w30 afe is a great looking oil and will meet the cold viscosity requirement. Its sn plus, so, gf6a, and decos 1 gen 2. m1 dexos lic D10102GH015

While that 0w requirement is literally meaningless above negative 22 degrees it's still in the warranty book. To be honest, Motul has it when it comes to their race oils. Ive used their 300v off and on for 20 years in motorsports but their regular stuff is... regular.
Ah i see it now! The name is just Mobil 1. Good points everyone, this the oil ill be using.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
933 Posts
Why don't people just use the 0-30 Mopar and OEM filter, as specced? Its what was intended, and thus far I've not read or heard of it being a poor choice for any reason.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
But.....then we wouldn't have this awesome thread with several epic rants and schoolboy arguments!!! (Finger pointed squarely at myself here)

These things are critical to being a car nut!

I like to use aftermarket because, it's where my history is I guess. Family has an independent place not a dealer....we sell aftermarket stuff. When I buy things from the factory I can hear my Grandfather's disapproval like I go against the family.

Seriously....still a borderline outcast for ever running a dealer service Dept.

But...you are right. Smartest, easiest choice just have some factory stuff on hand. Never think about it, the Alfa specs are really high quality both oil and filter. The best aftermarket stuff is basically the same...cheap stuff not as good.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
933 Posts
But.....then we wouldn't have this awesome thread with several epic rants and schoolboy arguments!!! (Finger pointed squarely at myself here)

These things are critical to being a car nut!

I like to use aftermarket because, it's where my history is I guess. Family has an independent place not a dealer....we sell aftermarket stuff. When I buy things from the factory I can hear my Grandfather's disapproval like I go against the family.

Seriously....still a borderline outcast for ever running a dealer service Dept.

But...you are right. Smartest, easiest choice just have some factory stuff on hand. Never think about it, the Alfa specs are really high quality both oil and filter. The best aftermarket stuff is basically the same...cheap stuff not as good.
I have a lot of experience with unintentional consequences. There are surprises when you deviate from knowns. An example from the aerospace/DoD industry is 2055 and 2099 aluminum lithium alloys. Superior in every way to 7075...however, anodize is a jightmare with them, and anodize is a very important component in wear and environmental considerations. You may have a superior alloy, and inferior finished product...unforseen. When Geissele designed their Super Precision mounts, their initial runs were aluminum lithium. Now? No mas. It bit em.

Anyway, I say all this to say, those who designed the machine know more than I. Ill simply avail myself of their tested knowledge. Hit that easy button.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio TI Sport
21 Posts
Order it online. Annoying, but then, this is an Alfa. You must afford it special consideration. Definitely a pay to play type experience, Im finding.
I have no problem with that, but can’t find a place to order it. The only places I’ve found that sell it are out of stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, my head is spinning also. Interesting debate between 2-3 members but I like to simplify things down to the main factors, in order of importance.
These are the four points I have learned from this thread:
1-. OW30 for my 2018 Stelvio, especially since I am in Northern Oregon, 0 Deg.F or below temps in winter.
2- SN at least but SN Plus, is a, um, a plus, if I can find it.
3. Oil Quality: 13340
4. Manufacturer Brand, that is reliable to meet these specs. This is the hardest to decipher but it seems either Pennzoil, Mobil 1 or Amsoil are all good contenders.
I was hoping for more brands suggested to consider.

Even though I have about a year left on warrantee it is about 400 miles to the nearest Alfa dealer from Ontario, OR, so I have to have this done here.
I will buy the oil online or if the mechanic can get it for a reasonable price.

BTW, how do I lower that incredibly loud seatbelt alarm, it is always a race to secure the belt before I lose my hearing. LOL
John

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It must be sn plus or sp. Sn will not protect against lspi.

Sn plus is now required by every manual...

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Magenta

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

See this thread that just popped up from an alfa technician...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yes, but since SN Plus was not available in 2018 and my manual says SN I'm sure it would be fine. I will go with the Plus if I can find it. Thanks
You will likely be fine as far as warranty but obviously it would be a bad choice to use an SN oil as those oils promote low speed pre-ignition. The number ine killer of our engines.

This is why alfa changed even the old 2017-2018 manuals to indicate sn plus is the minimum and why every alfa dealership in the usa will only use an sn plus or sp oil.

Read the recent manuals when in doubt.

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Administrator
661 Posts
John,

You are about equal distance between Portland and Coeur d’Alene, the two Alfa dealers closest to you. However, you may be able to purchase the oil at a Jeep dealer as it is specified for at least one model of Jeep.

Centerline Alfa has the oil as well as an oil change kit consisting of the proper oil plus filter.

Also, you may find other sources by searching for: Mopar MaxPro+ Synthetic 0W-30 engine oil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom, for some reason it was recommended that the car be shipped to Salt Lake city by Afla Support when I had an issue with turbo warnings, couldn't go over 50 MPH, LOL
Took a month to get the car back but has been performing flawlessly for the last six months. There used to be a dealer in Boise, ID, 50 minutes from me, but there was a falling out between the dealer and Alfa. I bought the car in Naples, FL and service there was excellent.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts