Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :smile

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am very happy with just about everything with my Stelvio other than shortcomings of infotainment (covered in another thread) and these 2 things:

1. The brakes when coming to a complete stop. Seems it is often impossible, or nearly so, to bring the car to a smooth stop without there being a jarring moment during the deceleration. It really only happens when stopping but it's a tad annoying.

2. I have a Ti (without sport option). Seems the car I drove before I ordered one had way more ways to adjust the driver's seat. It didn't bother me at first but I have suffered from sciatica a time or two and have discovered that the bucketing of the seat (knees above waist) can significantly contribute to discomfort. After driving the car for a couple weeks, I have already had some issues and discovered that there is no way to adjust the angle of the base of the seat. It only goes 4 ways -- up, down, forward and backward. That's not good!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've only had it for 3 days, and so far the only thing that bothers me is that the control arms are kinda blocked by the shift paddles. But who cares it looks so dammm good !!!!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I am very happy with just about everything with my Stelvio other than shortcomings of infotainment (covered in another thread) and these 2 things:

1. The brakes when coming to a complete stop. Seems it is often impossible, or nearly so, to bring the car to a smooth stop without there being a jarring moment during the deceleration. It really only happens when stopping but it's a tad annoying.

2. I have a Ti (without sport option). Seems the car I drove before I ordered one had way more ways to adjust the driver's seat. It didn't bother me at first but I have suffered from sciatica a time or two and have discovered that the bucketing of the seat (knees above waist) can significantly contribute to discomfort. After driving the car for a couple weeks, I have already had some issues and discovered that there is no way to adjust the angle of the base of the seat. It only goes 4 ways -- up, down, forward and backward. That's not good!
Agree on the lack of seating angle adjustment, though with the sport seats it doesn't bother me, the standard seats were unacceptable to me for that reason.

Disagree on the braking, I actually find the brakes to be extremely smooth and easy to bring the car to a smooth stop. I have heard your complaint from others, but personally find it to be the exact opposite, so I think it's more of a personal thing with practice and experience than an actual endemic fault of the design. If anything I find the Stelvio even easier to bring to a perfect smooth stop than I could do on my Range Rover Evoque.

My only complaint about driving is when downshifting & engine braking, the rev-match to shift from 2nd to 1st to be poorly done and almost always results in a lurch, especially when using the auto-downshift engine brake mode. otherwise driving it is an absolute treat, and eagerly awaiting it to be returned from the ESC issue I noted in my "in the shop" thread.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So far I have 1080 miles on the stelvio and have had no issues. My only major issue is how to keep it clean. I live is the santa cruz mountains and my driveway is a dirt road.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love everything apart from the infotainment system which like Marzio I Don't hate but which it was a bit more state of art BUT unlike my FPaces it all works.

The 280 BHP engine is magnificent.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Setting the navi is a PIA but it works well and a small inconvenience for such a great vehicle. I am determined to get used to the menu and knob vs. touch screen entry to make it second nature and accumulate favorite places. With only 7 pre-sets it's cumbersome to save favorite stations AM/FM and satellite (should have 7 per each) and from first impression, you have to scroll through the Sirius stations lowest to highest each time (unless sorting by category). I love the tech aspect of brake-by-wire with fail safe back-up and it will only be a short time to get a feel for pedal action; also seating of the brake caliper faces might take some time for best face contact. Otherwise every aspect is impressive and a fine example of elegant engineering!

Reactions: jttar

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Small thing that I would change: The time display (below driver's temperature display) is too small/hard to see. Also the outside temperature display in the driver's multifunction display is not placed where the passenger can see it. Everything else is darned near perfect!

Reactions: jttar

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have just had mine a couple of weeks, but am dumbfounded that one can not send a text message via the voice command button on the steering wheel. At this level of vehicle, that is a basic function.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thumbs up to everything on the Stelvio except 2 things:

1. Don't like infotainment system. Its too basic for this level of car. As someone said before its dated by 5 yrs!!
2. I have tried every way i can to exit the car without rubbing my calf on the lower plastic molding that runs along the sides. I find it very very annoying.

·
Registered
536 Posts
no real issues with me. I know it has some quirks, if I'd have wanted state of the art communications, entertainment would've gone with the audi or another evoque. Have had loads of italian motorcycles and cars and I come to expect them to have some eccentricities.

RE: the rubbing on the trim exiting. One of the reviewers mentioned this is an issue too. I haven't noticed it happens for me, maybe I'm being careful, but I do have long legs so it's easier for me to enter and exit I think than for some people.

Thumbs up to everything on the Stelvio except 2 things:

1. Don't like infotainment system. Its too basic for this level of car. As someone said before its dated by 5 yrs!!
2. I have tried every way i can to exit the car without rubbing my calf on the lower plastic molding that runs along the sides. I find it very very annoying.

·
Registered
275 Posts
  1. Everything above.
  2. Gear selector looks cheap. I wish it looks "sexier" like the steering wheel.
  3. Pronounced wind noise starting at ~60mph.

·
Registered
241 Posts
2. Acceleration and handling
3. Yellow calipers with stunning Misano Blue exterior paint
4. Uniqueness
5. It is not an Audi or BMW or Range Rover or Porsche (they are everywhere)
6. DNA dial does not default to Normal upon re-starting engine (like my S5 does)
7. Clock and outside temperature in front of me where I can easily see it (my S5 shows so much data that finding the time takes a fraction of a second longer)
8. Rear fog light (why doesn't every car have one?)

Could be improved:
1. Ease-of-use of Infotainment center ( part of this is learning curve- so may not be a long term issue)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dislike:
The silver V on the front is plastic. It will look so much better in real chrome like the old Alfas.
No color Alfa logo on the steering wheel
The 1 second pause of nothing after you pressed the ignition button doesn't inspire confidence especially on an Italian car

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dislike:
The silver V on the front is plastic. It will look so much better in real chrome like the old Alfas.
The 1 second pause of nothing after you pressed the ignition button doesn't inspire confidence especially on an Italian car
Stelvio fan: You have the same desires as I do! I would like a chrome V, color Alfa on steering wheel, and a raspy Alfa exhaust.

I am a bit fearful of going the aftermarket exhaust route on the Stelvio. I installed a MazdaSpeed muffler on my wife's Miata and it drones a bit. In fact every muffler for the Miata drones. I attribute the poor Miata exhaust note to the variable valve timing- but I am only guessing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
just as an fyi which I only just recently learned, the monochromatic logo is a nod to a past model (164?) and they used as part of an historical tie-in, tho I'm with you, think the colored logo would be nice.
(my 4c had it as well).

The grill frame, AR actually makes fully carbon grille assembly for the giulia so I'm hoping they come up with same for stelvio. Not a huge fan of chrome stuff..

Dislike:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dislike:
The plastic trim covering the B-pillar near the bolster area scratches up too easily from coming into contact with the metal seat belt buckle at the end of every drive. The plastic is showing some wear and tear already on my days old car. A little protection from the factory like thick felt for the area would be nice.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts