Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
What's the best way to negotiate price on a used Stelvio? Many of the Stelvio's have been on the lot for well over 30 days in many cases. Kind of scary in this crazy market. What would you pay for this car see attached invoice? I'm considering this for purchase tomorrow but dont want to overpay. What's a great, and good price for this particular car. It has all the features I'm looking for. I looked at a very similar car the other day with the same feature set same color same wheels accept it was a 2018 and had 30K miles. They wanted 32K. I'm assuming this car is going to go for well more than that.

How do you deal with a dealership that wants to tak on crazy doc fees that insist on you purchasing them.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
In the current (mostly) sellers market, you do not have a lot of leverage, unless....

There is another Stelvio at another dealership that you are interested in. If so, then play them off against each other. Whatever you do, do not tell the sales rep that this 2020 is the only thing you are interested in. Even mention other brands if you are looking at them too. Do a few simple searches in KBB, Car Gurus, True Car, and Auto Trader for 2020 Stelvios in your region with similar miles and options (as close as you can get). This will give you a ballpark idea.

Negotiating: Your two feet are your best friends. You never know their floor until you walk out, to your car, get in, and drive away. If they call you back, then you know they will nego further. If not, then you found their floor and can always change your mind and pay it. Worked for me for decades. Uncomfortable sometimes? yup. But it lessens or eliminates buyer's remorse (of the price anyway). If the car has been on the lot a while, then you have more leverage.

Doc fees: Each state is different. And you are going to pay it. They are not required by law, but many states have laws that cap them---notice the difference. Many sales reps will tell you its required by the state---not true (at least in my research and I have purchased cars in 8 states). The cap is true, not the fee itself (legally that is---by state law). If it is outrageous like in Florida, Georgia, and Virginia (600-900 bucks), then just insist on a lower purchase price to offset the gouge.

Other fees, like dealer prep---usually just profit padding. Pass.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Great tips above. A few others that have helped me, deal with them on the last business day of the month. A few hours before end of business for them. They want to hit their numbers for the month and they also don't want to renew insurance for the next month. Don't go there 2 hours before, give it more time. Some don't want to close a deal and would rather walk you out so they can go home on time instead.

Check tires and anything else you may need to replace soon and use that as bargaining power for negotiations. To be successful, you need to be ready to close the deal right there and then. Ensure your finances are buttoned up and be ready to sign.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great advice thanks! I brought with me the letter from the bank showing that I was pre-approved and a list of other car's that I was considering. I told them I was ready to pull the trigger. They knocked off the "junk" fees and took an extra $300 off. I walked out.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
262 Posts
^^^^^^^ AND via E-MAIL so that when you get to the final stage, there's no shenanigans...

Everyone's case study is different...

With that said, in my case, I had a running vehicle when I was looking for a Stelvio , so I was in it for the long game, meaning I wasn't in a rush.

Therefore, I made myself unavailable via phone. I told my salesman that my job wouldn't permit phone calls, therefore I was only available via e-mail.

When he called me, I just didn't answer and let it go to message...

I'd wait an hour or so, and remind the salesman via e-mail that my job wouldn't permit phone calls.

He tested me a few more times, and I Lathered/Rinsed/Repeated, and he eventually moved over to e-mail ;)

At time of closing, I brought my Cashier's Check and a print out of our emails, BUT I didn't even need to refer to the E-Mails, as and we didn't have any issues.

Check it out; A car is the second most emotional purchase after a house.

The trick is to not let the emotions get to you - keep it all business and you won't get fleeced - you have what gets them paid...

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I offered 42500 out the door via email. Havent heard back. I have no idea what to offer if anything. Most dealers will not negotiate unless its in person at least thats what I'm finding. Off to the Alfa dealership now and see what they got. Also another opportunity for a test drive :)

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
262 Posts
The current market is WAAAAAYYYY over inflated.

A good example that's been all over the FIAT forums =
2019 Fiat 500 Abarth just sold for $31,250 (sound of a mic-drop).

Yeah - it's Apples to Oranges, but a good prestation (that stands out in my mind) of the insanity of the current used car market.

LINK: 2,600-Mile 2019 Fiat 500 Abarth

Look - if you have a running vehicle, and it gets you from point A-B, I suggest staying patient and considering the business case.

Having money in the bank is a lot of "do I want this OR need it"...

The fact is that A-R dealers are dropping like flies. I lost my local dealer I used for warranty service = Walnut Creek Alfa-Romeo as well as the dealer I purchased from = Newport Beach Alfa-Romeo. BOTH dealerships are in six-figure income neighborhoods so that tells you something on a number of levels regarding this brand.

I feel that as more people that DEPEND on their A-R as their only daily driver, and they can't get warranty service (or paid service for that matter), unless they're a Alifist, they'll say to themselves "I don't have the time or patience for this" and trade them in...

I'm not saying that Porsche, Mercedes and BMW aren't having dealership/service problems, but A-R really stands out in the new Build Back Better® economy...

·
Registered
647 Posts
If we are talking about the same 2020 that you mentioned in the other thread that was 44k, I'd be shocked in this market if they accept 42.5. I agree that from a time and effort perspective, shopping online and giving email offers is smart----in pre-chip shortage (and many other shortages apparently) era that is. This market? You can try, but I do not think they will budge via email. If you have any leverage at all, it is in person in this market IMO. With a Stelvio on the lot over 30 days, maybe. Very recently helped my sis in law buy a used CRV. Test drove a few and made offers on two of them----zero nego. We walked and they did not call back. She needed reliable wheels now. She ended up paying asking price on the one she liked the best. A bit of apples to oranges comparison here, I get it. CRVs are bullet proof and very well known. But I think the logic still holds. Used car price inflation is nuts right now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In todays market you are better off leasing. The discounts on the new ones are in the thousands. Not many discounts on new cars from other brands. Keep it if you like it after 3 years. Dealers in cleveland area have pretty good deals. Both are large volume dealers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For reference, selling my lease back (returning with positive equity). Sale price is 38500

Loaded 2019 Stelvio TI Sport with every option, choc interior, silver exterior w/ nero pkg. Leather dash is black.

Only 20k miles in excellent condition - I have 14 days to sell to deal so if anyone interested in buying LMK asap at the steal price.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Go into the dealer with your target price. Inspect the vehicle and test drive. Look at all available records. Give them $500 below your target price, when/if they come back go up $500. After that be prepared to walk out, nicely. Tell them you are not paying dealer prep or doc fees beyond statutory items (taxes). You may hear back, perhaps not but the only time you can “win” is if you are prepared to walk.

Dealers count on people who are too uncomfortable negotiating and/or succumbing to pressure or desire. You can do this online but if you show up, you increase leverage and they know you are prepared and serious. Dealers make money on financing. Go in with a pre-approval but be willing to finance through their finance companies if rates are competitive. Rhats a free give for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What's the best way to negotiate on a used Stelvio?

First thing I would do is find out how much most dealers and car buying services are willing to buy the vehicle for.
Then add $1k to that price.

Right now, my old Giulia is sitting on my dealer's lot with a $43k price tag on it.
2021 with only 8k miles on it.
They gave me $36k for it in trade for my Stelvio.

I could walk in today, and buy a new 2022 for less than what they are trying to get for my old car, and it would be better equipped than what my car came with (unless you care about the two tone leather all around the interior).

BC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts