Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I realize this is hard to track accurately as most of your fuel economy relates to how you drive the car and those who leave it in dynamic all the time for example are pushing the pedal more liberally haha. But just wanted to hear from any stelvio owners who have experience driving for a extended period of time only on one of the 3 modes to give me an idea of how many mpg boost I'm getting by leaving it on A as opposed to N or D. I'm assuming A is the max mpg (22/28) and then leaving it on N drops it down to like 20/25? I don't want to know what leaving it on D full time will lead to haha but luckily I live by many costco gas stations!

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Q4 Sport, MonteCarlo Blue
116 Posts
I use 'D' until I have about 100 miles remaining on the screen. then I switch to 'A' and I swear that 100 miles doubles or triples...likely because I just stop getting into boost so much. It makes a big difference being in 'A'. With 'N', I don't notice too much. But then, I'm fairly heavy-footed because heck I'm driving an Alfa and someone has to teach those Ford Escape drivers they aren't fast.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
The key is staying out of boost, which is near impossible unless you use "A" mode or have really good self control. Otherwise, yeah, 25 mpg seems pretty normal as an average whether in D or N. A few people have reported as high as 30-something, don't know how they managed that.

Personally the reason I don't drive in D is because of the greater tendency to speed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here in the UK we have a lot of average speed cameras on the motorways, when I hit them I put on the cruise at the stated speed.. I'm getting about 30mpg mixed motorway and town on a good day using the N setting... but the image shows a long run from Essex to Swansea Wales and back at 36.5 mpg and that's with some good blasts when the average speed cameras are not about.. I have noticed that I do get a better mpg reading when I'm using the 99 petrol from a well known brand which is use almost exclusively now.. Cheers
Speedometer Plant Vehicle Trip computer Odometer

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ugh, I wish getting good gas were easier in the US! I've found the higher the octane the better then performance of the car, but I also have been experimenting with ethanol-free gas, which I can occasionally find in my state at 90 octane. The car doesn't feel as powerful as when I put 93/94 in, but it definitely gets better had mileage with 90 ethenol free, especially on the highway and puttering around town.

·
Registered
161 Posts
"A" mode allows the transmission to free wheel at highway speeds so it must get better mileage overall. When I fill up gas cans for my bike at Sonoma Raceway, Sunoco Optima, which is 91 ethanol free fuel, I don't notice any difference in the Stelvio which I top off the tank, but my 1290 Super Duke loves the stuff!

·
Registered
438 Posts
here's a fun stat...I rarely clear my "B" trip odometer.
I spend most of my time in N, occasionally in D, rarely in A.
25.7MPG at 35MPH avg over the last 6000 miles (prolly around 6 months worth of driving).
Longest road trip is probably 200 miles at a stretch. I'm kind-of a lead foot accelerating on
straight sections of road that I know don't have hiding places for police and on highway on-ramps.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts