Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the finish on my Stelvio wheels is deteriorating. I normally wash them with soapy water but I noticed the mottling effect and it doesn't come off. I can see now the finish is deteriorating.
Its affecting all wheels. Anyone else?
Se pictures attached

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow. That's unacceptable.
Keep us posted on Alfa's response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes no unusual chemicals used on the wheels but I'm not seeing anyone else with the problem. Car was put on the road in December 2017. No salt down here. Pretty unsightly

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wheel finish breaking down

You need to go back to the dealer because that is not normal wear and tear this early into the life of the car. I've seen that type of degredatino before on this type of wheel finish usually after years of use. The dealer should replace the defective wheels because the wheel coating is breaking down. The wheel manufacturer may have had a bad batch of wheel coating/paint when they made the wheels or the process was done incorrectly or incompletely. If the dealer doesn'nt come thru call Alfa Care.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Which wheels do you have ?

I've noticed the finish on my Stelvio wheels is deteriorating. I normally wash them with soapy water but I noticed the mottling effect and it doesn't come off. I can see now the finish is deteriorating.
Its affecting all wheels. Anyone else?
Se pictures attached

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Boy that looks like something got sprayed on them be it at a dealer during prep, factory contamination etc.. Seen as it will cost dealership/Alfa just as much to strip and refinish, find your favorite powder coating guy, get an estimate, esp if less than factory whip off. That's a win win.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That looks a lot like something corrosive got spattered on your wheels. I’d have the dealer repair or replace.

Or for a tiny amount ($440 is what I’m quoted) you can just powdercoat gloss black and have the wheels the TI Sport should have had.

Reactions: ViscontiVerde 164L*

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Assuming powder coat, it is an issue with surface contamination (prep) in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: Dealer has seen wheels and got photos. They have a local RIM guy who is accessing problem. They have not accepted resposibility and I get the feeling they are looking for way to blame me but we'll see.

Check your RIMS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts