Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week into ownership of my Stelvio. Really like the car apart from when I am on full lock to park the car, the wheels scuff on the arches. Does this happen on all Stelvio's - mine has 19 inch wheels? Would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A week into ownership of my Stelvio. Really like the car apart from when I am on full lock to park the car, the wheels scuff on the arches. Does this happen on all Stelvio's - mine has 19 inch wheels? Would appreciate any feedback.
Mine does it, wasn't sure what it was. Feels like it's sort of juddering over the surface a bit. Doesn't do it every time. Will have to get out and have a look next time. That can't be right if that's what it is. You'd have thought that 20" wheels would have more of an issue.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've noticed it. Seems like it has to do with the angle of the turn too, like off-camber turns at full steering wheel lock (like every time I pull into the local Jack-in-the-Box drive thru) make it VERY noticeable.

Trade offs would be increased wheel gap or a larger turning radius... personally I can deal with slight rubbing....

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
In reverse the very thing that makes it turn in so well, fights at full lock backing up. Never notice any rub marks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel scuffing update

Had feedback last night as raised it with the Dealer. Said that it happens on all Stelvio's and that it's more pronounced on the Quadrifoglo. Said they had been told that does no damage to tyres. On that basis, think it's just a "live with it" feature.

·
Registered
329 Posts
it's not the wheels scuffing the arches, but tires skipping over the road, due to the "Ackermann" geometry of the suspension... More performance cars have it. It's worse with low temperatures, due to the tire rubber being harder/stiffer. Wintertires help to lessen the effect. However, it doesn't do any damage.

see
chattering noise while steering.pdf

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's as per @jwq2 said. It's common on cars with quick steering racks, and is usually made worse by colder temperatures and certain tyre compounds. Pirelli P-Zeros (which are on the Quadrifoglio) are quite notorious for this sort of thing. I had the same thing happen on my Porsche 981. It's nothing to worry about, and certainly isn't the tyre rubbing against the inside of the wheel arch! By all means double check, but this has been commented on various forums and also affects the Giulias too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for the responses, very helpful. As a non related PS, dealer let me have a go in the Quadrifoglio which was crazily quick (as you would expect). Better start saving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts