Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Stelvio had a fuel pump failure on August 8th. It's still in the shop waiting on the pump. I escalated to Alfa USA but they like to pass the buck. (This means you Alison.) I would be happy if someone could just tell me, honestly, why a premium car company can't supply common parts for warranty repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of places are short on parts, usually covid related
Yes, that would be my guess, too. I just wish that Alfa had the decency to speak plainly on this rather than passing me off from one person to another and refusing to address my simple questions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And I wish I’d win the PowerBall lottery. Life is hard......

j/k - it is frustrating but FCA is hardly the only company with these issues.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Really....I'm jealous of you guys that think ANY car company is different.

My experiance is deal with any of them more than 5 times on 5 different cars and you realize none of them have any consistency beyond....they all have horrible parts availability on new models or ones with limited sales volume, and they all have horrible customer service.

All. Of. Them. Especially, all of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose I have been a little spoiled by my garden variety Jeep. It is extremely reliable and on the very infrequent occasion that it has failed, the parts have been on the shelf. My Stelvio has been just exactly the opposite. Live and learn, I guess.

·
239 Posts
I remember back in the 50s when Volkswagen was trying to get established in the US. When Detroit was still king.

One of the worries people had was parts availability. So VW committed to having every part in stock at every dealer. They only had the bug and it was dead simple. For example no need to have a spare gas gauge because the bug didn't have one. So it was a fairly realistic goal.

I heard of someone building a bug from scratch buying all the parts from dealer stock. From memory the cost was something like $80,000. Back when a new bug cost under $2000.

·
239 Posts
Why would you need parts to repair a bug???
Well, you need to replace points, plugs etc. seemingly all the time. And then you need to replace the small air tank used to power the window washers. Gas pump jockeys would stick an air hose on them and proceed as if they were inflating a tire. At least until it exploded in a few seconds. The smart ones wouldn't touch it and said if I wanted air in it I should do it myself.

But I think the real reason was to calm down nervous buyers. When I was in junior high school, I think there were only 2 VWs in town. One of them was owned by one of my teachers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts