Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is it becoming more and more difficult to order rotors for the Stelvio online? I've been at this for over 2 months now and it isn't like I haven't found any at all but for the most part, those are Ebay buys that I'm not too comfortable with, majority of the repudable sites (i.e. PartsGeek, RockAuto, etc.) are out of stock. What's going on?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
357 Posts
Every car manufacturer is experiencing supply chain issues for one thing or another, it is the world we currently live in.

TopEuro is an American based company, shockingly, they provide their phone number on their main page (which I think it is a positive thing), you might want to give them a call and ask a few more questions about those rotors, get a feel for them. At these times, beggars can't be very picky choosers ;) ...and for the price, I would take my chances. Another way to approach it, for the price, I would order those and the better ones/OEMs, use them until the better/OEM rotors arrive, then replace them.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
210 Posts
The foundries that cast rotors for euro cars are mostly in Poland and Hungary and they're probably having issues right now so this may not be getting better anytime soon.

I just waited 6 mos for a set of Bilsteins for a Toyota 4Runner. A Toyota...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Smart money is buying parts well before they need them now.... Remember when TP was impossible to get because of hoarders? Now they are buying brake parts and oil besides the supply chain problems.

highly suggest getting brake parts before you need them. I am about a year away and placed an order. Never in my life have I considered buying parts for my personal car a year before I'll need them.

And yeah... All brands... Nothing special anymore about any of them really. Same suppliers, same parts.. different software and chassis with certain exceptions like everything.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is it just me or is it becoming more and more difficult to order rotors for the Stelvio online? I've been at this for over 2 months now and it isn't like I haven't found any at all but for the most part, those are Ebay buys that I'm not too comfortable with, majority of the repudable sites (i.e. PartsGeek, RockAuto, etc.) are out of stock. What's going on?
Can you have a shop do a clean up cut on the rotors if they are still within the minimum specs in order to get you through to a time in the future when new rotors will be available?
At least if you do that, you won't have to hunt down rotors right now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am having low speed squeal from the rotors but no warning lights; does that mean it's time to replace?
Not always.
My Stelvio is brand new, but it occasionally has a brake squeal under light braking.

You would need to either inspect the brake pads yourself, or have a professional inspect your brake pads to see if they are the cause of the squeal.
There can be a variety of things that can cause brake pad squeal, and you really need to determine the actual cause.

Additionally, some brake pads are very aggressive materials, and will squeal no matter what you or your mechanic try to do to them.

If you wanted to stick your cellphone into your wheel to take a picture of your brake pads on both sides of your rotors and post them, we can give you our opinions on what you show us.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
357 Posts
We've discussed this in other threads, just because you have to/want to change brake pads, you don't have to replace rotors...not even turn them.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Brake pads use a friction rating that measures when cold and hot, then uses a letter grade to represent the rating. Most manufacturers use pads that are rated to be less aggressive when cold then when hot ie, EF rated pads, Alfa uses FF rated I think. A is least friction, Z would be the most...though Z rating doesn't exist I think G is about as high as it goes..probably an exception but in general....

Alfa specifies the same friction at both temperatures, which is more agressive then most cars and while it does stop better/faster, it has the side effect of being grabbier and causing more noise when cold... They also contribute to the rotors being worn away faster since more friction when cold wears away more metal then less friction. (Again though, it's why the car stops so quickly even with tiny rear brakes on the base)

Information below for those interested, there are variations besides the friction rating that could mean a more agressive rated pad actually has less tendency to make noise then a more agressive rated one, as pad compound, thickness, and other factors effect that aren't part of how the friction rating is computed, this is discussed some in the article, not much though.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
569 Posts
I did a similar thing in the past(Volvo 760T), that I was piecing parts together ahead of time, and my car got totaled before I could install those parts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts