Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti Alfa white with Chocolate interior, premium package.
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read somewhere it’s < 10k/yr ...
Help me understand why.
It’s not like people never heard the name “Alfa Romeo “ before ...
and stelvio’s been around for 5 yrs now.
2 weeks in ownership here but it feels solid. Maybe there no high milers yet?

·
Registered
546 Posts
A lot of people have no idea what it is. Some have this Italian car view from long ago - correctly or incorrectly, some people buy features and are not drivers, they want status AND unconnect, the marketing and advertising is inconsistent or non-existent. Bad dealers. There is some real stuff and some made up stuff. Bullshit from places like consumer reports. It takes a long time to build a brand.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I thought the US has like over 30 percent of all alfa worldwide sales. If it weren't for US sales theyd likely be done. Id live to see more sales everywhere. The brand advertising has been abysmal. They should be in the hands of major influencers and advertising much better.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
328 Posts
Brand is not recognized in the USA by the majority of people buying cars which are non enthusiasts, as well as lots of folks who hear Italian and see it at the Maserati dealer thinks it is over 100k and never check it out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes..more than once:
"Alfa Romeo".
"Huh....never heard of it"
"Well, they've only been making cars for, I dunno, 110 years now.....about the same as General Motors".

·
Registered
498 Posts
Help me understand why.
To add to and emphasize what others said, reasons why include:

--Almost 25 yr hiatus from US market.
--Reentry takes time.
--Many folks wary of Italian stuff except food, clothes, marble, and language--and cars they can never afford anyway.
--Agree that AR marketing could have been better---ice rinks, winding roads, and the N-Ring are cool, but add an advert in the dirt already..

The good news is that AR in America had sales growth in both 2020 and 2021, the Stelvio especially.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To add to and emphasize what others said, reasons why include:

--Almost 25 yr hiatus from US market.
--Reentry takes time.
--Many folks wary of Italian stuff except food, clothes, marble, and language--and cars they can never afford anyway.
--Agree that AR marketing could have been better---ice rinks, winding roads, and the N-Ring are cool, but add an advert in the dirt already..

The good news is that AR in America had sales growth in both 2020 and 2021, the Stelvio especially.
Be nice if they sold something somebody wants.... Don't start with me. Bought new 2016 4C Spider and wife bought 2019 Stelvio in October to go with the other eleven but I don't want a four door Giulia people hauler... Unless it were a two door coupe or convertible... Anyone ever see a 3 or 4 series BMW? Alfa, take the hint.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well I think the Stelvio is just about perfect-----Giulia-like handling, Alfa DNA, good utility, and all weather capability (prob better than my old Suby Outback)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Let's not underplay corporate politics too.

Remember...from launch till the change to Stellantis pretty much (march 2020) Alfa was run by the guy who was working as a whistleblower against FCA, A whistleblower, for a sales scam he ran, but being a federal witness meant FCA could not fire him. So, he basically ignored Alfa Romeo after his bosses invested a billion dollars in it and essentially held the corporation hostage - filling a lawsuit against them for cutting his pay...something that is normal when the brand you run doesn't hit sales targets, which he missed by alot, every year but he was protected against any discipline because he turned witness - till they agreed to what he wanted to buy out his contract probably. (We don't know why really that is my assumption. All we know is he was working for, while also testifying against, and sueing them on his own to get money...... Then the lawsuit was settled and he agree to leave. Then the merger with Peugeot went into high gear...probably not a coincidence.)

He is the reason the dealer network is a mess of great and horrible dealer, why the advertising has always been blah....and most other problems with the brand as related to management.

The new people really seem like they will get the job done. But they just started and it will take awhile to get out of the mess left by Ried Bigland. Couple years maybe more is my guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
JMHO, but I am still at odd's with SM's initial launch for the US,(maybe I should blame Ried) in Europe, sure they can be seen more as a BMW/Merc competitor, as BMWs don't all come loaded as entry level premium cars there. but here in the US, I think they were priced too high in 2017, I think they should have tried to come in 5-10k under the competitor's equivalent model. It was too much a challenge for an unknown brand. (thus much slower uptake) Plus I would have tested launching a Dodge/Chryser version with steel underpinnings/cheaper susp, interior, different front end, etc. and the pentastar, 8 speed, (outside the US, to get overall sales up for FCA) and the Alfa as configured, just not priced so high at launch. (full disclosure, I'm not in the auto industry, so may not know what I'm talking about)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I think areas that tend to be fashion or art hubs (Miami is both) tend to have more.

Palm Spring doesn't even have a dealer. I see them every time I go to Palm for a little while now...it's out here in the boonies I get surprised. (Even out here I see others regularly now. Pretty sure this tiny town has 3 Stelvio's now)

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
125 Posts
Let's not underplay corporate politics too.

Remember...from launch till the change to Stellantis pretty much (march 2020) Alfa was run by the guy who was working as a whistleblower against FCA, A whistleblower, for a sales scam he ran, but being a federal witness meant FCA could not fire him. So, he basically ignored Alfa Romeo after his bosses invested a billion dollars in it and essentially held the corporation hostage - filling a lawsuit against them for cutting his pay...something that is normal when the brand you run doesn't hit sales targets, which he missed by alot, every year but he was protected against any discipline because he turned witness - till they agreed to what he wanted to buy out his contract probably. (We don't know why really that is my assumption. All we know is he was working for, while also testifying against, and sueing them on his own to get money...... Then the lawsuit was settled and he agree to leave. Then the merger with Peugeot went into high gear...probably not a coincidence.)

He is the reason the dealer network is a mess of great and horrible dealer, why the advertising has always been blah....and most other problems with the brand as related to management.

The new people really seem like they will get the job done. But they just started and it will take awhile to get out of the mess left by Ried Bigland. Couple years maybe more is my guess.
Being the head of Alfa Romeo was far down on the list of things Bigland was responsible for. Your insight about him being the architect of "a sales scam he ran" has a very slight kernel of truth but doesn't really capture what went on with sales reporting at FCA during his tenure.

The idea that he is some kind of noble "whistle blower" is hilarious for those of us who worked for him. He was lawyered up and trying to keep his ass out of prison for securities fraud. I "heard it from a friend", of course.

As to the idea that there was a vast sales reporting scam, it really was more of an effort to smooth out the monthly sales numbers to keep the year over year monthly sales increase streak going. When thoroughly audited after the fact, it was determined that FCA actually slightly under reported their sales totals for the period(s) in question.

For a time, both the FBI and the SEC were up FCA's ass trying to determine if investors were actually misled. The net result was a finding of guilt by the SEC and a fine of $40 million. It was embarrassing to FCA but ended up not really hurting the organization in any meaningful way, or investors for that matter, in my opinion.

(One thing I did learn is when a couple of muscular guys in suits with high and tight haircuts and badges walk into the office on a Monday morning, it's a great time to be heading out the back door to go visit some dealers. Again, "heard it from a friend" who was there.)

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Oh no..I hope I didn't come off like he was a noble whistblower....quite the opposite. In this case he the poopy kid who goes and tells on his friends for doing what he did so the teacher won't get mad at him. That kid sucks. Sucked in kindergarten, sucks now.

My outside opinion only reading articles.....guy was a weasel who manipulated the law to avoid repercussions for his actions while trying to simultaneously use it to borderline blackmail his employer.

Figured the sales stuff was overblown but again..just reading articles. Also realized he has other responsibilities...those parts of FCA I just don't have as much interest in as Alfa personally. Didn't realize how many, did a little search on that. Guy definitely had alot of titles. Still kinda think how he handled Alfa was little bit of premeditated passive agressive BS... I mean..billion dollars to get the car on the road....completely drop the ball when it comes to marketing...like maybe the worst launch if any new brand ever in terms of marketing impact. Haven't researched that...but seriously, more people knew About Geo then do about Alfa it seems like. Freaking Geo.

Daihatsu had a better reputation at launch.

Maybe Yugo..maybe Yugo handled marketing and public perceptions worse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh no..I hope I didn't come off like he was a noble whistblower....quite the opposite. In this case he the poopy kid who goes and tells on his friends for doing what he did so the teacher won't get mad at him. That kid sucks. Sucked in kindergarten, sucks now.

My outside opinion only reading articles.....guy was a weasel who manipulated the law to avoid repercussions for his actions while trying to simultaneously use it to borderline blackmail his employer.

Figured the sales stuff was overblown but again..just reading articles. Also realized he has other responsibilities...those parts of FCA I just don't have as much interest in as Alfa personally. Didn't realize how many, did a little search on that. Guy definitely had alot of titles. Still kinda think how he handled Alfa was little bit of premeditated passive agressive BS... I mean..billion dollars to get the car on the road....completely drop the ball when it comes to marketing...like maybe the worst launch if any new brand ever in terms of marketing impact. Haven't researched that...but seriously, more people knew About Geo then do about Alfa it seems like. Freaking Geo.

Daihatsu had a better reputation at launch.

Maybe Yugo..maybe Yugo handled marketing and public perceptions worse.
Well said. Bigland's real job was "Head of U.S. Sales". Everything else was secondary fluff for the most part, including Alfa, which he took on late in his tenure.

Being the head guy for sales at FCA US is an extremely high visibility do or die position. Not hitting the promised number for Sergio each month could get someone fired, especially for us guys working in our regional Business Centers who forecasted and made those numbers happen under fear of death, metaphorically of course. Although at the time, it was as intense as anything I've ever encountered.

Bigland was a bad ass MFer who could be quite intimidating. He was a body builder which kind of fit his personality. As for his performance as a manager, well, he always hit the number, which is what he was paid to do.

Unfortunately, when people's job is literally on the line, the temptation to make a number happen "by any means necessary" is a reality. I was a good forecaster and never had to resort to cooking the books, fortunately.

I'm told Marchionne loved Bigland and for a time had him at the top of the list to be his predecessor. Things went sideways and ultimately a Brit named Mike Manley got the CEO job. Manley was a brilliant guy who did a very nice job as far as I'm concerned. It all ended well and resulted in the formation of Stellantis.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Head of sales at that level is an insane responsibility if you think about it.

In way unfair to put it all in one person..but them's the breaks....

And truth is...pretty much every manufacturer has some sort of a scandal due to sales reporting....fudging things is basically in the job description...so is not getting caught I think.

Figure it's like when I ran parts for my Dad as a kid.

He'de give me some place to pick up a ball joint or whatever, 40 minutes away.

Tell me don't speed and drive safe. Then tell me he needs the parts in 30 minutes. My job to work those 2 things out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Help me understand why.
Alfa Romeo brand U.S. sales were approximately 18,250 units for 2021 which was a little over 1% of total FCA U.S. sales.
As for why sales are what they are, it's kinda complex..Mostly it's due to a lack of a proper U.S. brand launch and FCA U.S. LLC putting virtually all their efforts towards the highly profitable Jeep and Ram brands. The new Tonale is evidence FCA is investing in the brand.

One thing FCA did do right is make one hell of a well engineered product with world class performance attributes. Best kept secret in the industry by far.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Maybe they have been chasing different markets at different times, trying to appeal to different groups?
In any event the first /earlier ads were pretty good, and they have gradually gone in a different direction. Some of the stuff they put out now is embarrassing as an owner.
The difference between dodge looking for a chief donut maker, 👍, and khia hamster people - who wants to be hamster?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts