Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of wind sound in my new Stelvio especially driving on highways. I was concerned that some windows or sunroof is open, but they aren't. Is it normal? Any recommendation to reduce it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can you identify where the sound is coming from? Is it constant at all speeds or do you have roof bars or anything else installed?
I've had mine past 160 km/h on the highway and it's very quiet.

Reactions: Banffstelvio

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Not noticeable to me in fact several passengers have remarked how quiet the interior is on Stella. We opted for no sunroof partly for that reason.

A couple of posters did report a minor gasket problem around the outside of the driver's window (you could see it visually- corrected by reseating the gasket; one had the dealer make the correction as I recall) and it was also mentioned about indexing the sunroof (you can visually inspect). If you can identify the exact area- maybe have someone else drive while you check it out- most likely has to do with seating of a seal or gasket.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Definite wind noise over about 65 mph...learned to live with it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It’s the mirrors. They channel wind between themself and the window.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sounds right...The only time I really notice is when the AC and radio are both off. Still a very quiet vehicle overall.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
We had dinner in York + I intentionally cruised 80 mph + have to report no wind noise. I really don't think it's the mirrors - much care was given to aerodynamic tweaking; this would have been tuned out. Several passengers have remarked how quiet Stelvio is, agree.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We had dinner in York + I intentionally cruised 80 mph + have to report no wind noise. I really don't think it's the mirrors - much care was given to aerodynamic tweaking; this would have been tuned out. Several passengers have remarked how quiet Stelvio is, agree.
I agree, I don't think it's the mirrors.

As soon as I hit the freeway after taking delivery in Vegas, I noticed what I thought was wind noise. Minor, but there it was. But, after 1000 miles in three days, I don't seem to notice it any more.

This means absolutely nothing. There may be some wind noise. Or not. Or I have just stopped noticing it.:rolleyes:

Late today, on I-5 in southern Oregon, I fooled with the HVAC system a bit. When I had a moment of straight freeway, which is rare there. I begin to suspect the noise may be coming from the driver's side air vent. It seemed to change a bit as I moved the vent, closed it and opened it again, took the climate control out of auto and played with fan speed. It seemed to make a difference.

Or I'm making the whole thing up. Who knows?

What I do know is I sure had a bucket full of fun taking those posted 45 and 50 mph curves (on the freeway, with trucks) at 75, on the cruise, with Stevie Ray helpin' me along...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a distinct whistle sound when going over 65 mph only when the air recirculation was on. That seemed to somehow be fixed with the recall updates.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wind noise is so subjective. My Audi A6 was very quiet.

I definitely have more wind noise in the vehicle, but it's not bad / annoying. It seems most noticeable from the driver window area, but probably because that's where I'm sitting!

When the weather was cold my arm would get cold while resting on the door where the wind starts. It wasn't cold from the window, but from a draft. I looked at the gasket that others have mentioned, but it looks fine to me.

I've not yet had the vehicle in for service, I'll have them take a peek.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you identify where the sound is coming from? Is it constant at all speeds or do you have roof bars or anything else installed?
I've had mine past 160 km/h on the highway and it's very quiet.
It’s the mirrors. They channel wind between themself and the window.
The wind noise around the mirrors is wayyyy too much. Not enough wind tunnel testing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had the Stelvio for only two days now. The whistling noise comes through the vents when surpassing 65mph. Changing fro fresh air to recirculating does not make it go away. Pretty disappointing, I had a 2017 Giulia for two years and it did not have this issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just spent about 6 hours at highway speeds ( ok..maybe a little above ;-) ) driving from Chicago to Nashville yesterday and one of things my wife mentioned is how quiet Romeo was compared to our previous MDX. I have a 2019 Sport ti with the panoramic sun roof .. I did add rain guards on all the windows .. no wind noise...

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Thanks @RDemon please, link to the ones you got?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I’ve had the Stelvio for only two days now. The whistling noise comes through the vents when surpassing 65mph. Changing fro fresh air to recirculating does not make it go away. Pretty disappointing, I had a 2017 Giulia for two years and it did not have this issue.
Hello Kelt0004,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern with your new Stelvio. If you have not done so already, I recommend bringing this to the attention of your servicing dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance. If you decide to go this route, please reach out to us if additional assistance is needed throughout that process.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
179 Posts
I definitely have some noticeable wind noise above 60 on the Stelvio. Noticed it imediately when driving home from the dealer when I bought it. I believe mine comes from the mirrors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have driven a pile of mileage this year on the Stelvio and don’t have a whistle or excessive wind noise, except sometimes I need to roll my drivers side rear window down and up. May be a poorly sealing gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
update: all of a sudden, after a bunch of fiddling around I turning off the recirculation button immediately stops the whistling. Glad I could narrow this down. Now to go to the dealer and see if they can get the recirculating mode working without the noise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
update: all of a sudden, after a bunch of fiddling around I turning off the recirculation button immediately stops the whistling. Glad I could narrow this down. Now to go to the dealer and see if they can get the recirculating mode working without the noise.
Found this post by accident... funnily enough I had somewhat the same issue with my 2019 Stelvio ti sport today. Wind noise / whistling coming from vent. I turned off the AM button and seemed to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks @RDemon please, link to the ones you got?
Would have answered sooner Gator but traveling last two days... I got mine from Amazon .. I don’t remember the brand and the invoice is home.. I will try to find them again and post a link.. they are really nice and no double sided tape .. they fit in the channel like much like weather tech..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts