Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two test drives now, both in cold temps (under 25 degrees). In each case the heating system set in climate control was unable to keep the windows and windshield from fogging up. The salesman had to turn the setting to defrost in order for them to get cleared up. Whenever I changed it back to "Auto" for the system to run at the set temprature, the windows would fog up again. I found it to be really annoying and disappointing that the climate control was rendered useless at colder temperatures.

Anyone had these issues or found a solution to them that didn't require constant babysitting of the controls?

·
Registered
536 Posts
you have to manually adjust the blowers to put more warm air on the windscreen, that's what I've done at any rate.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Pay attention to 3 modes of recirculating air - button press left knob. You may be in recirculate mode.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Pay attention to 3 modes of recirculating air - button press left knob. You may be in recirculate mode.
yes, sometimes the Auto button doesn't switch the recirc setting to Auto. Once I figured that out I haven't had fogging issues.

·
Registered
536 Posts
so you DON"T want it to be in re-circulating mode? Is that correct? I have to check to see what mine's on.

yes, sometimes the Auto button doesn't switch the recirc setting to Auto. Once I figured that out I haven't had fogging issues.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Correct. Recirculation is useful in high humidity for max dehumidification. In cold you need to move out air so it doesn't condense on cold windows. This is why in Defrost mode the A/C defaults to don to dehumidify the warm air. Stelvio gives 3 options by repeated pressing of the lower half of the knob on the driver's side.

Reactions: zvezdah1

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
True confession: How I discovered the RECIRC mode works is because I was so enjoying the smell of fresh leather (vs. leatherette found in 'others') that I was driving around in lush fragrance for a couple of weeks to preserve it until the first cold night where it fogged up on the wife's side... so it forced me to study that section of the manual LOL. No, I'm not certifiably mad, just a little disturbed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
agree - the windshield and all windows for that matter seem to fog up very easily - when you turn on the defrost it is effective but it cranks the heat up to a stifling temperature -- when you turn the temp down it turns the defrost off... why?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
agree - the windshield and all windows for that matter seem to fog up very easily - when you turn on the defrost it is effective but it cranks the heat up to a stifling temperature -- when you turn the temp down it turns the defrost off... why?
why, good question, but you can think of the front defrost button as a preset setting for max defrost, which will return to your normal heat setting after it's turned off. You can always hit the vent button to select the windshield and turn the fan up manually without cranking the heat to max to achieve what you want.

btw driving 80mph down the highway the other day in sunny 9 deg F temps I found that the max setting wasn't enough to keep the washer fluid from freezing to the windshield above about eye level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
why, good question, but you can think of the front defrost button as a preset setting for max defrost, which will return to your normal heat setting after it's turned off. You can always hit the vent button to select the windshield and turn the fan up manually without cranking the heat to max to achieve what you want.

btw driving 80mph down the highway the other day in sunny 9 deg F temps I found that the max setting wasn't enough to keep the washer fluid from freezing to the windshield above about eye level.
don't get me started on the ridiculous in wiper arm design of the washer jets -- they don't clean anything while driving and cause sheet of ice on driver side window - while making windshield a very poor visibility condition.... fail.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I can assure you the design was well vetted so the issue is most likely crappy fluid added to the reservoir (user error)- in cold Temps it would be expected to freeze.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
don't get me started on the ridiculous in wiper arm design of the washer jets -- they don't clean anything while driving and cause sheet of ice on driver side window - while making windshield a very poor visibility condition.... fail.
I don't hate the design, though it does seem to struggle getting enough fluid to a few parts of the windshield for optimal cleaning. The fluid they shipped with however was terrible. It was some sort of alcohol based cleaner which did freeze everywhere with a white residue and made things worse more than it helped! I've put nearly 2 gallons of regular blue washer fluid though the system and have flushed out most of the terrible fluid they shipped it with and it's been much better since then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My climate control has a mind of its own, I have figured out that if I want to change the temperature I need to switch climate off and back on after adjusting the temp. One of many problems I can’t be bothered to even try to explain to Chrysler service department.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
If you are running in M or with fan off you are doing it wrong in cold weather. Probably want to have it checked- or read the manual (3 recirculate settings- LED off or A for 'Auto' during the cold weather). Ours works great and used as intended pushes out stale air that would cause fogging perfectly. Might be what we refer to in our work as 'user error.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Regarding the climate and temperature settings, a short question: the sensors show 4-6 C (approx. 40 F) more than it is really out there. Did anyone witness such? (Sorry, I just didn't find a better topic for this, but if any, please let me know.)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
We all know our temp gauge is WAY off. They are working on a software fixfor this little oddity. 99% of the time when someone has fogging issues, they have recirculate on. I have always found it amusing when I see a fogged up vehicle in the winter on a highway no less. That is what the owners manual is for!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts