Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
393 Posts
Has anyone had problems getting OEM infrared windshields replaced. 2018 Stelvio AWD and loaded including an infrared windshield.
What issues are you having? Finding a windshield or difficulties installing?
I had my 2018 Stelvio's windshield replaced by safelite. Once they found the correct windshield, it went very smooth. (non IR glass)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my initial contact with Farmers and Safelite I specified I wanted a replacement identical to the one on the car. Without consulting with me they installed an aftermarket which plainly does not have any tint ie. it is not IR as the original. Deliberations are ongoing. At this point I am extremely mad at both Safelite and Farmers.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
393 Posts
From my initial contact with Farmers and Safelite I specified I wanted a replacement identical to the one on the car. Without consulting with me they installed an aftermarket which plainly does not have any tint ie. it is not IR as the original. Deliberations are ongoing. At this point I am extremely mad at both Safelite and Farmers.
Ahh, I also dealt with state farm and safelite.
I did specifically say I wanted oem glass, and checked the glass prior to installation.
In my case, the only oem glass they could find was at local Alfa dealer and they sent a truck to pick it up.
They should replace the glass with oem equivalent, which in your case, should have been IR.
I don't know enough to know which option came with IR glass. My original just had the sound reduction symbol on it, not the IR symbol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently they did not try to find and OEM windshield and just installed an aftermarket (probably one of Safelite's own manfacture). The one installed has a chinesee manufacture name on it! The actual installation went smooth but as soon as I sat down in the car I knew it was not the right windshield. Unfortunately we were 150 miles from home and unable to confront them at that time. Now trying to confront this with both Farmers and Safelite after the fact. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have State Farm and they use Safelite as their comprehensive insurance adjuster. My local safelite would not do the infrared and I ordered OEM through the dealer who charged with glass and outside installer at the dealership approx. $1200.00 which Safelite as State Farm claim processor approved, no issues. I have had the windshield replaced 2x. Same process. Approx. 2 weeks wait for the part. The second replacement was about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is the kind or interaction I would have expected, however neither Farmers or Safelite gave me the opportunity to demand an OEM - they just installed this one. In my initial contact with Farmers and Safelite I did insist I wanted a replacement identical to the one on the car which was the original since it had never been replaced. So it goes on ----
Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
You NEED to explain to them the infrared windshield is a paid option, listed on the window sticker and included as an option when doing a VIN search. It contributes to the value of the vehicle.

By using a non-infrared replacement they DEVALUED YOUR VEHICLE.

Most states have laws governing such a thing and they don't favor the company who devalued the customers product.

If you explain to them WHY the windshield in incorrect (not because it is after-market, because it isn't infrared) it should get corrected. This is an important distinction you must make..if you focus on the windshield not being factory they will stop listening to you because what you are talking about doesn't matter. The problem is not it is an aftermarket windshield... The problem is IT IS THE WRONG AFTER-MARKET WINDSHIELD. The correct windshield, whether factory or not, is infrared... That is what you need them to understand. It fits but is still the wrong windshield.

Once they understand this, and their liability for devaluing your car..... You should be able to get the problem fixed.

If you just call and tell them you don't want an aftermarket windshield though.... They will ignore you. Problem isn't aftermarket.... Problem is it's the wrong one.

·
Registered
‘18 Stelvio Ti Sport fully loaded It’s a DRIVER!
240 Posts
Took me 6 months to get my windshield replaced and the issue was IR feature. With the VIN supplied they had the proper specs for the windshield. When quoted without the VIN it was a non IR glass. Definitely not an expected outcome since the ViN has your config.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Has anyone had problems getting OEM infrared windshields replaced. 2018 Stelvio AWD and loaded including an infrared windshield.
Please correct your forum name. ALPHA is embarrassing............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts