Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. I live in Toronto and do a lot of driving to ski hills. I always put winter rubber and dedicated rims on my vehicles. I just bought a 2018 base model stelvio w 18" wheels. Does anyone have recommendations on wheel sizing for winters?

·
Registered
139 Posts
In principle, you would want smaller rims, but 18” is probably a suitable size. I have ordered 19” rims with Pirelli Sottozero as winther tires for my Stelvio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Integrale. i will do some research. not sure if i just go by exact tire sizing or what i need to know about brake clearance, number of lugs etc. historically i have just ordered what tirerack and others suggest...but the stelvio isnt on their dropdown filter yet

·
Registered
146 Posts
I usually go with what the dealership suggests in size and go for Michelin tires. Never really thought much about it, though I have heard that tires that is both smaller in diameter and narrower than your summer set has better grip in the snow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I try to get winter tires and rims sized that are standard on the base model. Obviously, a big brake option may change that choice.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I usually go with what the dealership suggests in size and go for Michelin tires. Never really thought much about it, though I have heard that tires that is both smaller in diameter and narrower than your summer set has better grip in the snow.
Tire manufacturers no longer recommend going narrower with the improvements in snow tires. For the same reason as you want wider summer tires, it's all about the contact patch gripping the snow and ice.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tire manufacturers no longer recommend going narrower with the improvements in snow tires. For the same reason as you want wider summer tires, it's all about the contact patch gripping the snow and ice.
The wider the tire's contact patch the worse it will be in snow. Think about how snow shoes distribute your weight on a wider area so that you wont sink in the snow. Same principal.

The narrower patch concentrates more down force on a smaller area hence more traction.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
2 choice for me, on original size, 255/45 r20

michelin alpine la2
continental ts850p

this set will be with me in febbrary on northen sweden

·
Registered
534 Posts
The wider the tire's contact patch the worse it will be in snow. Think about how snow shoes distribute your weight on a wider area so that you wont sink in the snow. Same principal.

The narrower patch concentrates more down force on a smaller area hence more traction.
I understand your logic for saying this and it was true years ago before winter/ ice tire technology took a massive leap forward.
The same reason why you'd want weight distributed with a snow shoe is the same reason you want a larger contact patch with a tire. You want forward motion not downward digging.

This is what Continental says about it, but all the tire manufacturers say the same:
Wide tires

Cheers!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I understand your logic for saying this and it was true years ago before winter/ ice tire technology took a massive leap forward.
The same reason why you'd want weight distributed with a snow shoe is the same reason you want a larger contact patch with a tire. You want forward motion not downward digging.

This is what Continental says about it, but all the tire manufacturers say the same:
Wide tires

Cheers!

OK ..... so i stand corrected. Thanks for your input. :smile

·
Registered
534 Posts
Has anyone found aftermarket rims for the Stelvio?
I'm trying to find winter wheels and tires but have not found anything that fits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone found aftermarket rims for the Stelvio?
I'm trying to find winter wheels and tires but have not found anything that fits.
Hi, I just installed my winter wheels on my Giulia.
They are replica 18" wheels by RWC wheelshttp://rwcwheels.com/roues-hiver/alfa-romeo#content, a Montreal based importer.
They make this model in silver and anthracite, 18x8 ET30.
The wheels have an offset of 30 which is exactly in between the wheel offset of the Stelvio and Giulia.
The Giulia has an ET33 offset and I believe the Stelvio has something like ET27....

This wheel will be a perfect fit for the Stelvio,
It is engineered to be direct fit on your hub with original bolts and centre caps.
Not too expensive either!
Check it out

·
Registered
348 Posts
I drove my TI Sport up in the California Sierra Nevada in full chain controls (4wd with snow tires only) and the stock continentals on 20s performed very well. Can't imagine the traction with real snow tires.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi, I just installed my winter wheels on my Giulia.
They are replica 18" wheels by RWC wheelsRoues d'hiver, a Montreal based importer.
They make this model in silver and anthracite, 18x8 ET30.
The wheels have an offset of 30 which is exactly in between the wheel offset of the Stelvio and Giulia.
The Giulia has an ET33 offset and I believe the Stelvio has something like ET27....

This wheel will be a perfect fit for the Stelvio,
It is engineered to be direct fit on your hub with original bolts and centre caps.
Not too expensive either!
Check it out
ET34 for the Stelvio 18 x 8. It seems to be the 65.1 centre bore that I cannot find.
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
3 Posts
ET34 for the Stelvio 18 x 8. It seems to be the 65.1 centre bore that I cannot find.
Thanks for the link!
These wheels are 18x8, ET30, CB65.1.
I've seen them installed on a Stelvio, they look perfect.
It is exactly what you need for your car. They retail about $800CAD.

Nice. How much were the wheels? (I didn't see pricing on the linked page.) What tires did you install?
I installed 225/45/18 Nokian Hakkapeliita R2
We got snow today, had lots of fun!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts