Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have winter wheel & tire recommendations for a 2022 Stelvio Quadrifoglio? I'm looking for factory sized 20" or 21".

I received a quote for the stock 20" wheels for about $9K list price for 4 wheels (without tires), which I don't consider reasonable. I'm open to aftermarket wheels given these prices, but would want to be sure the wheels clear the calipers.

For the tires, I'm looking for performance winters that are good in the dry and cold and reasonably good in wet/light snow. I was looking at Pirelli, but their winter lineup is confusing. Which of these would you recommend? https://www.pirelli.com/.../en-us/car/catalog/season/winter

Thank you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anyone have winter wheel & tire recommendations for a 2022 Stelvio Quadrifoglio? I'm looking for factory sized 20" or 21".

I received a quote for the stock 20" wheels for about $9K list price for 4 wheels (without tires), which I don't consider reasonable. I'm open to aftermarket wheels given these prices, but would want to be sure the wheels clear the calipers.

For the tires, I'm looking for performance winters that are good in the dry and cold and reasonably good in wet/light snow. I was looking at Pirelli, but their winter lineup is confusing. Which of these would you recommend? https://www.pirelli.com/.../en-us/car/catalog/season/winter

Thank you!
So, from what I can see, if you want a set of four winter tires for the OEM Stelvio Quadrifoglio 20" wheels, the only option (again for stock size with steel rotors) are the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Winter&frontTire=545VR0SCORWXLV3OS&rearTire=84VR0SCORWXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Alfa Romeo&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Stelvio Quadrifoglio&autoModClar=Standard Brakes).
And, right now, they are out of stock everywhere (i.e. very limited supply).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks - seems like folks with new Stelvio QVs may be out of luck this winter. The dealers don't seem to have many options either - none for the 21" wheels, slim pickings for 20".

Downsizing from 21" to 20" or 19" will affect accuracy of speedometer and odometer, right? Does Alfa have a way to recalibrate?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
378 Posts
Thanks - seems like folks with new Stelvio QVs may be out of luck this winter. The dealers don't seem to have many options either - none for the 21" wheels, slim pickings for 20".

Downsizing from 21" to 20" or 19" will affect accuracy of speedometer and odometer, right? Does Alfa have a way to recalibrate?
As long as you match the tires to or at nearly the same overall diameter your speedometer/odometer will be fine.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Pilot Alpin 5, ore Pilot Sport AS or DWS06+ in 265 and 295? Both of those AS tires are good in light snow, I used to drive a set of DWS on a RWD 500hp Jaguar XJL, they were as good as Pirelli Sottozero 2 on the same car. There might be a Continental snow tire in that size, or Michelin X-ice but that is different spec than what you cited.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There have been several discussions about this. Last time I checked there were no 21" tires for all season or winter use for the Stevio QV. That is still the case. When I checked a month or so ago, there were all season tires for 20", not that is not the case. I was told back then they only had one set left, apparently they are gone. All they have is a 20" Scorpion which I guess I any of us could go with. Here is a link to rims for about 3K. Note I selected standard brakes.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thank you!
I ran Rotiform R190 20 x9 aftermarket wheels custom drilled to fit hub centric with the front tire size, 255/45R20 Hankook Incept Evo3 tires front & rear last winter on my 2021 Quad. They were awesome winter tires and rode & handled remarkably well. Cost me $2,900. complete from my local independent tire store.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@Chymerix, did you get any farther on your quest? I'm now in a similar boat. Picked up a new QV and the dealer threw in a set of lightly used Scorpions that came in with someone else's trade-in.

If starting from scratch I might go with a 19" square setup, but since I already have the tires I was trying to find a set of staggered 20" wheels. Those ebay wheels you posted seem like a good option, but are a bit scary since I can't see that anyone else has bought them here.

Maybe I'm also being too sensitive to remounting tires twice per year on one set of wheels. The last time I did that on painted wheels the dealer (Porsche) jacked up the wheels removing the old weights so I'm very hesitant not to have dedicated winter wheels. I just don't have experience remounting tires frequently as I have always had two sets of wheels.

BTW, if you do locate the Scorpions, they are a decent option. Not my favorite winter tire, but a mediocre winter tire is still better than an all-season.

·
Registered
158 Posts
@markoware and @Chymerix like you I’m in same boat. Have either of you considered Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
265/40ZR21 & 295/35ZR21 (diam 29.1 & 29.3) respectively?
These are in stock on tire rack. Dealer ordered a couple sets but after reviewing some of the threads about this a little concerned if it could generate a warranty issue. Wondering why the would sell a wheel size that has no winter or all season tire that is in OEM size. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or a technical memo from Alfa providing guidance on acceptable diameter variances between front and back? Is .2” acceptable? All seasons are certainly not preferred but nothing else close I’m aware of.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@markoware and @Chymerix like you I’m in same boat. Have either of you considered Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
265/40ZR21 & 295/35ZR21 (diam 29.1 & 29.3) respectively?
These are in stock on tire rack. Dealer ordered a couple sets but after reviewing some of the threads about this a little concerned if it could generate a warranty issue. Wondering why the would sell a wheel size that has no winter or all season tire that is in OEM size. Does anyone know if there is a TSB or a technical memo from Alfa providing guidance on acceptable diameter variances between front and back? Is .2” acceptable? All seasons are certainly not preferred but nothing else close I’m aware of.
I considered one of the Michelin AS at one point when looking at alternate wheel sizes...might have been the Crossclimate 2, though. I have a set of 20" Scorpion winter supposedly in the correct size at my dealer (threw in a used set when I bough the car two months ago). I was looking at alternate sizes to buy wheels and tires since I couldn't find a second set of 20" staggered wheels I was happy with. Ultimately I've given up and I have an appointment on Friday to mount the Scorpions on my factory wheels.

I had a staggered set of Scorpion winter for the 21" Macan I sold earlier in the year...crazy that they seem to be discontinued now. I wonder if it's just supply-chain related and we'll see more options next year. When I was looking on the Pirelli site a couple months ago I'm pretty sure they still listed the Scorpion in the right sizes...maybe it's even a USA availability thing.

For sizing, the Macan runs the same tire size you mentioned. If it's acceptable to have the 0.2" difference front to rear on the Macan, one would think it wouldn't hurt a Stelvio. The Stelvio factory size is 0.1" difference front to rear, so really you're talking another 0.1".

·
Registered
158 Posts
I considered one of the Michelin AS at one point when looking at alternate wheel sizes...might have been the Crossclimate 2, though. I have a set of 20" Scorpion winter supposedly in the correct size at my dealer (threw in a used set when I bough the car two months ago). I was looking at alternate sizes to buy wheels and tires since I couldn't find a second set of 20" staggered wheels I was happy with. Ultimately I've given up and I have an appointment on Friday to mount the Scorpions on my factory wheels.

I had a staggered set of Scorpion winter for the 21" Macan I sold earlier in the year...crazy that they seem to be discontinued now. I wonder if it's just supply-chain related and we'll see more options next year. When I was looking on the Pirelli site a couple months ago I'm pretty sure they still listed the Scorpion in the right sizes...maybe it's even a USA availability thing.

For sizing, the Macan runs the same tire size you mentioned. If it's acceptable to have the 0.2" difference front to rear on the Macan, one would think it wouldn't hurt a Stelvio. The Stelvio factory size is 0.1" difference front to rear, so really you're talking another 0.1".
Thanks for the response. I’ve been researching on tire rack and found I can get scorpion winters in oem size fronts and rears in 295/35R21. Tire rack shows both at 29.1” diameter. Doing the math they are within 1.25 mm so I’m certain they will work.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I have your fitment folks. look it up.
245/50R20 and 275/45R20. Just a bit taller but everything is sweet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have your fitment folks. look it up.
245/50R20 and 275/45R20. Just a bit taller but everything is sweet.

Thanks but I’m at R21. If I order the bright 5 holes I’m planning on using them as my summer set.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
21s are a terrible choice for winter IMHO...19s would be best followed by 20s. A set of 19 or 20 inch takeoffs from a regular Stelvio would be my choice out of the box. Sidewall is your friend in the winter.....frostheaves, POTHOLES, compliance.....21's provide none of this...but its your money...until the first repair.....if you are keeping the vehicle 4 yrs, buy dedicated wheels.

·
Registered
158 Posts
21s are a terrible choice for winter IMHO...19s would be best followed by 20s. A set of 19 or 20 inch takeoffs from a regular Stelvio would be my choice out of the box. Sidewall is your friend in the winter.....frostheaves, POTHOLES, compliance.....21's provide none of this...but its your money...until the first repair.....if you are keeping the vehicle 4 yrs, buy dedicated wheels.
Yeah I agree, I have a set of staggered GQV wheels with Alpins on that I ran on my GQV. I looked for suv tires I could put on them that would have matching diameters but nothing yet. I haven’t checked the ratings for the alpins. Perhaps they will work as is but I doubt it

·
Registered
158 Posts
You have any experience with Vredestein? I can get Vredestein Wintrac Pros in 255/50r19 & 285/45r19 to fit on my GQV wheels. They are within .75mm diameter of each other at 29.1 so speedo will be good. They have good reviews. Think I found my solution. And it’s cheap. 😃

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I hear good things from my younger nephews on vredesteins.. Good call with the 19's!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you know if 20" square take-offs from a regular Stelvio need spacers to fit or look right? There is somebody here selling a set within reasonable driving distance of me. I thought about just picking them up and seeing what it would take to make them work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts