Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive done some searching but still a little confused..

I have the upgraded Harmon Kardon system but would like to add an additional subwoofer in my trunk.. Does anyone have a link or file of the correct wiring diagram to tap into the signals? Im assuming ill be using the factory Sub signals..or would the speaker signals be better? also any guidance on which wires to tap into would be an immense help..

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure if there is a wiring diagram, but someone here has done exactly this and has a good amount of information posted in another thread. Good luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm in the same boat, Please, sensei, share your car audio wisdom with me as well!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’ve done this. I used the signal from the sub. PM me and I can give you all the deets.
Can you post the info in the thread? It would help others as well...
“First off, let me tell you that I am definitely not an audiophile, but I do like a well tuned system. The speaker setup in the Stelvio Sport TI was pathetic in the bass department. I purchased a Sound Ordnance 8” powered sub . . . Very compact and nice punch. Website is here:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html
I think JBL and some others make a similar product. Anyways, I was looking for simple and effective. This one filled the bill. It’s also a good deal for what it is and Crutchfield’s customer service is second to none.
I have it hooked up under my rear cargo area. There is a void that is just behind the battery. I had to modify the foam a bit, but it was pretty minor. With this speaker, I didn’t even have to by an LOC. Just tapped into my existing sub wires and ran straight to the sub. Easy. Simple.
I will tell you that for the best results I think you should run wires from the two rear door speakers. I simply didn’t want to tear the interior of my car apart. I always seem to break stuff unintentionally.”

That was my response to the initial question. I can take pics and document steps in the near future . . . I simply don’t remember wire colors, etc. I do know, however, that I tapped into the wires going to the sub, then ran them directly to the sub’s high inputs (Sound Ordnance has this option, but I don’t know about JBL or other brands). If no high inputs, you’ll need an LOC. Steps/pics will be coming.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
BTW you have runflats and no spare....know I know why it fits.

Slick little install you have done. Not sure why folks haven't just changed the sub to a better unit???

·
Registered
177 Posts
???Ohm ratings by effectively running 2 subs from same line may not end well in the long run. That amp may be running VERY hot!! Just my level 1 knowledge on stereo, though my home system is centered around a Mac MC352. My thought was to remove stock unit and replace with same size but more efficient output level unit.

BTW you have runflats and no spare....know I know why it fits.
I have a quad with no spare, and such a location would work in my (or any other stock) quad. I can’t comment on the amount of foam under the skinny spare, for those who have it, but you might still be able to use this sort of location by carving out some of the foam.

Regarding ohms impact of using the speaker level cable for the second location, my understandingis that subwoofer plate amplifier designs which do so are not increasing resistance in the same way that a second sub driver would be. Remember, the powered subwoofer is bringing its own amplification to the party.

Thusly, The existing amp line wouldn’t actually be driving both subs.

I don’t have this set up in place but these are my thoughts
Its something I might try, once my quixotic mission to cover all cheap black plastic in real cf in the cabin is complete!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Here’s a video I made to document the process. Hopefully it’s ready for viewing on YouTube. Any questions, hit me up.
Hi -- I just installed a JL amp and subwoofer in my Stelvio, using the wire diagram from the very informative video. To enable the 12v sensor to turn the amo on and aff, I simply tapped the JL wire into the red/grey lead going to the 12v outlet jusy above the HK woofer. Works like a charm. I also had to install a stepdown box to get the HK woofer output to RCA low level plugs. I used an inexpensive Kicker unit and everything works fine!. To get the 12v on/off installed, I just tapped the JL wire into the 12v socket right above the HK woofer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts