Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this interesting. Body shop bought a damaged 2022 Stelvio at auction. The repair process reveals things about process and the car we would not ordinarily see. It is a three YouTube series, only 2 of which are posted. See below if you are interested. Funny that the guy says "Romero" throughout the first video.

Part 1:

Part 2:

·
Registered
704 Posts
There's a youtube similar to this where he buys a wrecked QV and restores it. I'll edit this post with a link when I find it. From what I saw of that video, Alfa is just like any other cars out there... He literally stripped it down all the interior and all airbags and even aligned the frame of the car. One thing i find strange is that there are no vapor barrier on the doors of Alfa. Anyone know the reason?

here's the series of the rebuild.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a youtube similar to this where he buys a wrecked QV and restores it. I'll edit this post with a link when I find it. From what I saw of that video, Alfa is just like any other cars out there... He literally stripped it down all the interior and all airbags and even aligned the frame of the car. One thing i find strange is that there are no vapor barrier on the doors of Alfa. Anyone know the reason?

here's the series of the rebuild.
I found what I think is a link. The amazing thing is that he did the rebuild in his backyard! And he knows nothing about Alfas. Not even sure if he has shop manuals.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found what I think is a link. The amazing thing is that he did the rebuild in his backyard! And he knows nothing about Alfas. Not even sure if he has shop manuals.
Looks like I didn't add any more access. But the series can be easily tracked down on YouTube.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
583 Posts
I have watched Kondor's for a while. They are pros in what they do.
What I have noticed in these rebuild channels,(including vtuned, goonzquad, etc) that they are a Russian/Ukrainian or similar origin.
I'm Hungarian from Romania, and I have started a Lotus 7(Locost) looking car build.
Cutting the pipes for the chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have watched Kondor's for a while. They are pros in what they do.
What I have noticed in these rebuild channels,(including vtuned, goonzquad, etc) that they are a Russian/Ukrainian or similar origin.
I'm Hungarian from Romania, and I have started a Lotus 7(Locost) looking car build.
Cutting the pipes for the chassis.
As a guy who doesn't even change oil himself, I truly admire the ingenuity and self confidence of these guys. I've watched many similar programs and been in awe of the craftsmanship. Don't know where these guys got their training. I've sat behind a desk and computer all my life and have wished I was hands on to a craft like them.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
933 Posts
Interesting videos.... The parts where he is driving the car on public roads with one bolt holding the seat in place.. then driving without a seat entirely....

.... I wouldn't take my car to him for work.
My cousin did stuff like this, and while I disagreed with a lot of his methods, he also was running 11's @ 120+mph in the 1970's in street driven cars which he built, and had the pictures and timeslips to prove it. Sometimes genius has flaws.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
...can't argue with that ....

Still... It isn't 1970 anymore, alot more cars on the road...

To me it's attention to detail combined with concern for others.

It isn't just him ... When he's driving sitting on a tiny block ... He can't operate the pedals correctly... That effects other people on the road.

...and reality is... It would be just as easy, if not easier, and safer to toss the parts in a shop truck. Unless of course they don't have a shop truck.....which leads me to, why not?

It they can't afford one... Makes me doubt the actual quality of the shop, as any decent shop can easily afford a shop truck in my experience (even without social media accounts)... If it is just they (he) doesn't care and would rather spend the money elsewhere, cutting that corner, makes me wonder where else they (he) is cheaping out.

Doesn't inspire confidence regardless of how I cut that pie.

Also... (And maybe this is really it) his comments about parts quality and off road ability/reliability, couldn't be more wrong.

4 years... Off road nearly everyday.... Not one problem. No broken parts...still don't even have any rattles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...can't argue with that ....

Still... It isn't 1970 anymore, alot more cars on the road...

To me it's attention to detail combined with concern for others.

It isn't just him ... When he's driving sitting on a tiny block ... He can't operate the pedals correctly... That effects other people on the road.

...and reality is... It would be just as easy, if not easier, and safer to toss the parts in a shop truck. Unless of course they don't have a shop truck.....which leads me to, why not?

It they can't afford one... Makes me doubt the actual quality of the shop, as any decent shop can easily afford a shop truck in my experience (even without social media accounts)... If it is just they (he) doesn't care and would rather spend the money elsewhere, cutting that corner, makes me wonder where else they (he) is cheaping out.

Doesn't inspire confidence regardless of how I cut that pie.

Also... (And maybe this is really it) his comments about parts quality and off road ability/reliability, couldn't be more wrong.

4 years... Off road nearly everyday.... Not one problem. No broken parts...still don't even have any rattles.
This is for the California guys. I live in Illinois, specifically the metro Chicago area, so I can't throw stones, but is this true that the guy who bought and repaired a 2022 collision damaged Alfa bought at auction can't sell the car in California until is has 7500 miles on the odometer? What's that all about?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Yessir.

Not a new law. Written specifically for people doing what he is.

Yet another reason why attention to detail is important. Dude should know the laws that effect his business BEFORE buying and repairing a vehicle. Cut that corner... What other corners get cut?

Some of these videos...people should keep stuff to themselves. His issue isn't because Alfa.... It's because he didn't do his due diligence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts