Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Giulia Ti Sport for a little over two years and it's been a dream vehicle, expertly balancing comfort and capability. For me, a big part of that has been the adjustable dampers that I run probably 80% of time in the softer setting due to our generally terrible roads in Western NY (though I still love and use the harder setting). In shopping for an SUV for the wife, the Stelvio Ti Sport was an obvious place to start however our first test drive didn't exactly go as planned. While it was a gorgeous unicorn vehicle that was way more capable than even I expected, it was WAY too stiffly spring for us as a daily driver with the standard suspension and 20 inch wheels. Despite having a long string of performance sedans, I was getting so much bobbing at my head that I was motion sick before we returned from our 20 minute drive. Telling the (great) salesperson that we loved it but really needed one with the performance pack, he regretfully told me they're so rare that you basically have to order one from Italy. This struck me as bizarre and kind of insane given that these things are all being sold with 20 inch wheels. Sure enough, there are exactly zero Stelvios within 300 miles of me that have an adaptive suspension. Can someone please explain to me why every Stelvio is being ordered with 1000 dollars worth of black trim instead of the $1500 package that would make the ride quality more livable? Also, is it true that the Ti Sport package is going to fold in the dampers for the next model year? Can someone comment on how much they help? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my parents into two Stelvio's in the Northeast one with the Performance Pack and one without. I agree that it is odd that more Stelvio's aren't ordered with the Performance pack active suspension + an LSD is a no brainer at $1500.

If you really want it have the dealer ship one for you across the country. I also got my uncle and his family into a couple as well and they had no problem shipping 2 of them out to match his spec. Also look at the sticker of the one you test drove because the Stelvio's also have sport tuned suspension option which the Giulia doesn't have which is just stiffer springs without dampers.

Any who check out this ordering guide for 2021 it looks like Ti Sport will include paddles and the LSD but you need to option adaptive dampers for $995 for the 2021 models.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any who check out this ordering guide for 2021 it looks like Ti Sport will include dampers for the 2021 models.
Thank you for posting the 2021 order guide. Great info!! (y)

Reactions: EZPZ

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Just get the 19 inch wheels. It does make a difference. The difference between my summer Quad wheels and my winter wheels is HUGE!!

Also, make sure you go back for another test drive with a tire gauge in your hand. I'll put money on it that the tires were at the as shipped 50+ psi!!!
20 inch wheels run 33/36 psi...not a pound more. 32/34 is actually the sweet spot with 255's all around.. It will make a BIG difference in the ride quality. Your head bobbing desciption is my #1 clue.

·
Registered
478 Posts
afaik, the stelvio (not QV) has a different "active" suspension as the giulia.....
I think the stelvio uses the Koni adaptive dampers as standard, which are not electronically controlled.....
Koni active damping
and
Koni active dampers

Stelvio specs
from the above:
Customers of the 148 kW Turbo Petrol and 154 kW Turbo Diesel versions of the Stelvio may add Veloce – the Italian for ‘speed’ – which is a package of equipment which further refines and enhances the Stelvio’s sporting edge by adding the following equipment:
  • 19" Sport Alloy Wheels
  • Aluminium Interior Trim
  • Aluminium Metal Sports Pedals
  • Black Painted Roof Rails
  • Frequency Selective Damping by KONI®
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Power Bolster
  • Red Painted Brake Calipers
  • Sport Front Seats
  • Sport Steering Wheel
This does mean it should be simple to add them afterwards, if required

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I wonder if that is market dependent.

The website referenced is in Mew Zealand, there are a few changes for that market.

Edit: I was going to correct Mew Zealand to NEW Zealand....but nah. Mew Zealand is too funny. That would be the name in the universe where cats became the dominant life...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had my Giulia Ti Sport for a little over two years and it's been a dream vehicle, expertly balancing comfort and capability. For me, a big part of that has been the adjustable dampers that I run probably 80% of time in the softer setting due to our generally terrible roads in Western NY (though I still love and use the harder setting). In shopping for an SUV for the wife, the Stelvio Ti Sport was an obvious place to start however our first test drive didn't exactly go as planned. While it was a gorgeous unicorn vehicle that was way more capable than even I expected, it was WAY too stiffly spring for us as a daily driver with the standard suspension and 20 inch wheels. Despite having a long string of performance sedans, I was getting so much bobbing at my head that I was motion sick before we returned from our 20 minute drive. Telling the (great) salesperson that we loved it but really needed one with the performance pack, he regretfully told me they're so rare that you basically have to order one from Italy. This struck me as bizarre and kind of insane given that these things are all being sold with 20 inch wheels. Sure enough, there are exactly zero Stelvios within 300 miles of me that have an adaptive suspension. Can someone please explain to me why every Stelvio is being ordered with 1000 dollars worth of black trim instead of the $1500 package that would make the ride quality more livable? Also, is it true that the Ti Sport package is going to fold in the dampers for the next model year? Can someone comment on how much they help? Thanks in advance!
Agreed, when looking for my wife’s Stelvio it was impossible to find one with the adjustable dampers but everything had the Nero package. Anyway as someone said above would guarantee the op drove a vehicle with overinflated tires. My wife’s Stelvio had same issue (tires inflated over 50psi for transport). After deflating to 33/36 ride improved significantly.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I hope Engi saw thta post about the tire pressures. These dealers really are idiots!!

Reactions: Monk

·
Registered
49 Posts
afaik, the stelvio (not QV) has a different "active" suspension as the giulia.....
I think the stelvio uses the Koni adaptive dampers as standard, which are not electronically controlled.....
Koni active damping
and
Koni active dampers

Stelvio specs
from the above:
Customers of the 148 kW Turbo Petrol and 154 kW Turbo Diesel versions of the Stelvio may add Veloce – the Italian for ‘speed’ – which is a package of equipment which further refines and enhances the Stelvio’s sporting edge by adding the following equipment:
  • 19" Sport Alloy Wheels
  • Aluminium Interior Trim
  • Aluminium Metal Sports Pedals
  • Black Painted Roof Rails
  • Frequency Selective Damping by KONI®
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Power Bolster
  • Red Painted Brake Calipers
  • Sport Front Seats
  • Sport Steering Wheel
This does mean it should be simple to add them afterwards, if required
I think it is market dependant.Here the FSD was separate option for Veloce 2020,but you never know with the Italians. :) I didn't know they put Koni. How can you tell wether you have them? Are they visible from somewhere?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think it is market dependant.Here the FSD was separate option for Veloce 2020,but you never know with the Italians. :) I didn't know they put Koni. How can you tell wether you have them? Are they visible from somewhere?
Just guessing, but I would expect you can see from the wheelwell, or otherwise from underneath the car.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as I can find info , it appears Koni dampers are used only for New Zealand market ? Does anybody knows, which Koni model is used? On their home page, there is no option for Stelvio dampers?

·
Registered
478 Posts
As far as I can find info , it appears Koni dampers are used only for New Zealand market ? Does anybody knows, which Koni model is used? On their home page, there is no option for Stelvio dampers?
Not really, the New Zealand page was just a handy info page I found in a quick search....
I know they are also used in The Netherlands, and in UK, and I'm sure in most countries.
You should be able to find it in the service docs.....
European docs
USA docs

I have read elsewhere that the Alfa FSD dampers are not Koni, but equivalent from Sachs.. The New Zealand doc specifically mentions Koni though...

see also
stelvio damper thread

Had a quick look in the Dutch pricelist, option 377, dynamic suspension , see :

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not really, the New Zealand page was just a handy info page I found in a quick search....
I know they are also used in The Netherlands, and in UK, and I'm sure in most countries.
You should be able to find it in the service docs.....
European docs
USA docs

I have read elsewhere that the Alfa FSD dampers are not Koni, but equivalent from Sachs.. The New Zealand doc specifically mentions Koni though...

see also
stelvio damper thread

Had a quick look in the Dutch pricelist, option 377, dynamic suspension , see :
Thanks a lot, man! You have been very helpful , all the time. Yes,all the dampers from factory, which incorrectly was stated in NZ ,as Koni, are not build by Koni. I asked them in email and they replied very quickly, that the dampers are not build by them, but over their patented technology. Most possibly,I think too, they are Sachs. They also said, they don't have dampers for Stelvio.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So they said the dampers are the same in all markets?

And the only supplier is Sachs?

...most manufacturers use multiple suppliers for logistical reasons. That would explain why the adaptable suspension is not more widely avalible. Really it's good overall though, better quality control with one supplier.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So they said the dampers are the same in all markets?

And the only supplier is Sachs?

...most manufacturers use multiple suppliers for logistical reasons. That would explain why the adaptable suspension is not more widely avalible. Really it's good overall though, better quality control with one supplier.
I don't know for sure, wether the dampers are the same for all markets, but after all the cars are made in one and the same facility , in Cassino, most possibly they are the same.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts