Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti
84 Posts
You know its perfectly believable that someone had a terrible experience like this and is pissed and just venting. Just because we all have great experiences with our stelvios and are Alfa enthusiasts doesn't mean people don't have issues or get lemons. Frankly if I was in that position and this happened to me I would probably be bashing Alfa too '' they warned me.. I should've known.. etc"..

If I was having issues, I would go search forums too.. and if my issue wasn't resolved by dealer or manufacturer, I would probably go complain too, out of frustration. Regardless of brand, if you buy a new car and have repeated issues, months without it and no reassurance about issues being fixed, you have the right to be upset about it. And most people form opinions based on personal experience, not based on facts or stats so yeah, this person is probably disenchanted with Alfa thinks they are all horrible.

We can assure you, they are not! As you can see by all the positive posts here, plenty of people are happy with these cars. So if this is legit - Good luck with lemon law - personally I think they should buy back your vehicle!

·
Registered
2022 Sprint AWD which replaced 2018 Stelvio Base
82 Posts
I do not wish the OP experience on anyone. But as others have said, lemon laws exist in (most) states and for this very reason. 30 years ago, I bought a Dodge Shadow convertible. Numerous problems. After letter mentioning lemon law, they reached out and made offer to get me out of the car without lemon on the title. Moved on to another Shadow and no issues.

MY 22 Stelvio is my second. First was a 2018. Flawless until oil pressure solenoid went out at 52000 miles. Had Mopar coverage. Covered a rental during backorder on the part. Dealership called me weekly with update. Alfa in MI emailed me about as often. It was the only problem in 2.5 years I had the car. Handled graciously and professionally. My new 2022 flawless so far. Were it not I have a couple of excellent dealers close enough. The selling dealer is working on my Fiat. 9 years from new and this is first substantial problem. Radiator has small leak. Being fixed under extended factory coverage.

Others would say my experience with excellent reliability is not the norm. If so, neither is the other extreme experienced by the first poster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Stelvio is the BEST CAR ever - this is even considering the issues.

Here in Australia they are a vehicle that few think about and most miss out on experiencing. I have colleagues with BMWs and Mercs that look at my car with envy and their inner monologue is spoken without thinking - ”I wish I knew that was an option when I bought…”. I have people walk into work and whisper - ‘who owns the Alfa?‘

My issues:
  1. About once a month when I go to put my passenger window up… it goes down regardless of being controlled by the drivers door or passenger
  2. Yup, I’ve had the battery problem.
  3. I’ve had the volume knob stuck down which drains the battery.
  4. The front sensors are too sensitive so I keep them set to activate during parking.
  5. My electric tailgate button gets stuck
  6. My bonnet seized and wouldn’t open.
I‘ve actually loved experiencing them because I feel like I know the car really well.

It’s like a relationship.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Purchased a 2022 Stelvio Veloce in June 2022. On the way home, all of the warning lights went off and the safety systems shut down. They all reset when the car was turned off. Initially figured it may have been a one-off. However, it happened again a week later. So, we took it to the dealer. They kept it a week and gave it back to us saying it was fixed. It happened again on the way home from the dealer. Turned around and took it back. This time, they had it for 10 days. Told us to pick it up. Once again, on the way home, it happened again. This time they kept the car for 50 days. They said they needed to have a special technician come to the shop to take a look. I called Alfa customer service and was told that their feeling is they can just keep the car as long as they think is necessary in order to repair it. They refused a buyback. After three months, they had us pick it up without ever diagnosing the problem. They said they changed the dash wiring harness and hope that eliminates the problem. They have no idea what happened.

So, I have now sued them and the car is sitting in my driveway. I refuse to allow my wife to use it because, honestly, it's junk. We should have never purchased it. I will fight them until they take this lemon back. Run from Alfa. They are awful.
You should not run from your car but from your dealers and that includes most of the dealers in USA. As I said many times before, obviously most of them really don't know what they are doing, which is totally unacceptable of course. Most possibly you have battery, battery terminals electrical problem which can be fixed in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don’t usually engage in theses kinds of posts, but honestly, negative experiences should be expected and welcomed on these types of forums because they generate feedbacks to issues that may help the owner And other members. Agree with alfaoffroad that battery is a bugger, but my varta is still going strong on my 2018. This site always has good technical responses and have helped me in the past so I appreciate them. i love my Stelvio, but that does not mean I expect less for my money. This is exactly what I tell my stellantis friends who i work with in Turin and they understand their challenges. Believe me, great engineers in Italy, but the French PSA is destroying that group Because they have controlling interest in stellantis.

My infotainment system blacked out 3 weeks ago, first time since the update a year ago. Turned car off and let it sit for a few hours and all was ok. This is not acceptable regardless of brand.

it’s a fickle car, but mine really has been extremely dependable. More so than other vehicles I have owned including my Mercedes R350. What a POS, or Audi Q5, another gem.

Thanks to all for your honest input, positive and negative experiences.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
The infotainment screen going black is crumby.

Every VAG product I have driven since 2010 has had an issue where randomly I connect to Bluetooth to play music and instead of music get a very loud feedback sound. It is incredibly unpleasant. There is also random horrible echo with phone calls as well as feedback. It's about as common as black screens in an Alfa...or having a home PC freeze and need a reboot. Phones too.... My Samsung will sometimes freeze and need a reboot. Had it happens on Apple products too.

Every once and a while the Roku will freeze, or drop out of a show, sometimes it stops sending audio to the receiver... Had the TV update it's firmware and start flashing random frames of solid color once....

Not arguing this is a pain and it should be better ..

Arguing it happens to every thing with electronics now on some level in some way, it's called using a computer. They randomly screw up if you have never noticed.

Should it be better? Absolutely.

Unfortunately as long as the most highly valued automotive company on the Auto industry gets away with charging thousands for the chance to beta test software, and refuses to follow accepted automotive engineering standards for electronics ..... Probably won't change.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Having owned a 2019 and now newer 20 & 23 MYs I really don’t think there’s a huge difference. I will admit that I don’t care about nav or touch screen as I really prefer the scroll wheel. I also like that you plug your phone in as it always links with the system. The BMW X6 my wife drove prior to her Stelvio had Bluetooth connectivity which worked no more than 50% of the time. The system could certainly benefit from a faster processor. With all the discussion since the merger of creating efficiencies and platform sharing I’m really surprised Alfa hasn’t adopted the software used in dodge products (which seem to get rave reviews). My 2 cents.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts